Transporting large cabinet phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
coyote
Victor II

Transporting large cabinet phonographs

Post by coyote »

For all those who will be attending shows and might be taking some phonos away with them, I wanted to know some general guidelines for vehicular transport of large machines. Center of gravity kind of dictates that they be placed on their sides/backs, and removal of the turntable and soundbox is a given. Adequate pading on the outside is a given as well. Sometimes it is not feasible to remove the whole motorboard, although that might be preferable, it's not always practical. As examples, I imagine one would want to stuff padding around the horn or secure the arm of an Edison DD machine to prevent it from swinging back and forth in transit. On Victor cabinets, what is your preferred method to protect the pot metal tonearm back bracket/support? Are there any other parts where special attention is advised? My thanks, as I'm sure this will be helpful to anyone transporting a large machine for the first time, or transporting one PROPERLY if they have erred before.

Bordde

Re: Transporting large cabinet phonographs

Post by Bordde »

coyote wrote:On Victor cabinets, what is your preferred method to protect the pot metal tonearm back bracket/support?
I generally remove it and wrap it separately to avoid undue stress and risk of damage.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Assuming we are talking floor models, I remove the platter and crank and dress a towel around the tone arm/repro. I cover the machine in a good quality movers furniture pad (one that just happened to fall off the moving van in our last move :lol: ). Then strap it in an appliance dolly and lay it in the back of the minivan still strapped in the dolly.

Damage free transport every time.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Another handy trick is to take a roll of seran wrap and wrap that tightly around the lid, doors etc. Poor man's shrink wrap.

Dave

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

I also take some basic tools like screwdrivers, pliers, cresent wrenches etc. And a supply of bubble wrap.

Dave