O/T - PayPal for payment of Ebay items

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

O/T - PayPal for payment of Ebay items

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Yesterday I won an Edison DD on Ebay. The seller agreed to lower the shipping charge from $7.50 to $5.00. When I signed into PayPal, I noted that PayPal no longer offers a buyer the option of changing the shipping charge. The seller told me that he would try to re-send an invoice, but he wasn't sure how. Does anyone know how to complete a PayPal transaction in Ebay when the cost has been altered?

Rocky

Discman
Victor II

Re: O/T - PayPal for payment of Ebay items

Post by Discman »

You might have to pay the full amount and then the seller can refund the difference. Just a thought.
Dave

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I emailed the seller to ask if I can send a PayPal payment to his regular email from my PayPal page and bypass the Ebay PayPal connection altogether.

Rocky

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Rocky, That will work too, but you won't have all that "protection" ebay/paypal provides :)

Dave

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Dave, the seller agreed to use Media Mail instead of Priority, thus the change in shipping charge from $7.50 to $5.00. I just couldn't see paying $7.50 to mail a $5.00 record. Rocky

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

As a seller you can set whether you want the customer to have access to changing the price of shipping or not. At least in the past you could. You can have the seller to change the shipping price, I often do that when I have over figured what something will cost. Or as some mentioned I refund the difference if I am off too much.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Larryh is correct. When the seller uses the send invoice icon he will have the chance to change shipping cost, type and insurance if he wants. He should beable to resend the invoice with no problem. And as mentioned the seller can refund any or all money paid for a item with PayPal.
Best Regards, Larry

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

There is still another factor in the shipping on ebay. I don't figure it in my self, and Ebay has attempted to stop it, but still sellers pad the possible price in the shipping a bit. I know I don't like it when I have it happen to me and often I will not buy from someone I feel is overcharging for shipping. I passed recently on a couple things I wanted due to the principle of the thing.

However it must be said, that with the new post office rules and ever changing price structure, I have lost a great deal in shipping while items are not selling for more than the asking price in many cases. I sold a coffee pot that used to easily go up, and now it didn't so that gamble ended up loosing me money. On top of that the item had to go to california and priority is so size and weight touchy now that when I got to the post office the 17.99 I had gotten as the price set at ebay turned into an actual shipping cost of 28.00. So I had to fork over 10.00 while loosing on the item to start with. That is likely why some try to pad the price of shipping a bit to cover those kind of ever increasing shipping cost. Still if you don't like the shipping price then don't buy the items.