When Customers Don't Come To You...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

When Customers Don't Come To You...

Post by OrthoSean »

In Albany, NY, The sole Edison dealer went to them. Being from this area and having always wondered why Edison stuff almost never really shows up in the close vicinity of the city itself, this article basically explained it. DDs have always been around in outlying areas here, but never in really great numbers. The trail of Edison and Diamond Discs in this general area goes cold around mid-1926 when the distributor "The American Phonograph Company" stopped carrying everything Edison and focused on Radios only. I thought some of our fellow Edison fans may find this interesting.

Meanwhile, there was no shortage of Victor dealers in the city itself, which explains why Victor stuff always was (and still is) very easy to find around here. Sorry for the poor quality of the newspaper scan, but it's easy enough to read if you download it.

Sean
Attachments
Albany Edison.png
Albany NY Evening Journal 1927 - 6428.pdf
(309.25 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: When Customers Don't Come To You...

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I wouldn't mind the Edison Dealer on my doorstep instead of the incessant importuning that goes on here in Toronto all through the dinner hours. The doorbell rings and we hide. :D

JRT

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"The doorbell rings and we hide."

Maybe you missed the Edison guy... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Edison sales in New York must have been pretty bleak by 1925; I think the only non-NYC distributor was in Syracuse by then. Trying to sell $1 pop discs when Woolworth & Kresge had cheapo "latest hits" was hopeless - plus the lack of electrical recording, later on.

This is more toward Music than Machines, but I saw this while looking for the Niagara Falls dealer who must have sold an Edison to my Grandfather & his sister Pauline: http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%202 ... ehtml&.pdf

So that's where the Cheapo Labels' unknown tunes came from! Check the record reviews, too ...

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

another old thread dredged up from the depths of the forums, but that ad below it can't be common at all! One of those radio/phono portables was on Technogallerie and sold for $1500 or so, IIRC.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm another old thread dredged up from the depths of the forums, but that ad below it can't be common at all! One of those radio/phono portables was on Technogallerie and sold for $1500 or so, IIRC.
The Talking Machine World was a long published trade magazine. Fortunately, you can now view all issues on line at your leisure.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=%2 ... 20world%22

By the way, where is Sean? I sure miss his posts and knowledge.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Sean isn't a huge fan of the TMF currently, he's mostly over on the APS forum. He got a couple of cabinet Vitaphones recently.