Featured Phonograph #105

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph #105

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The perfect pinstripe on the bedplate tells the story - it was hardly used. Somehow, I never heard of the automatic reproducer variant that has a slanted neck and heavier weight. The grooved mandrel is certainly unusual too. Great find!

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

What a beautiful and interesting machine. Thank you for featuring it.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I, too never saw a grooved mandrel before. Does anyone know the purpose of the grooved mandrel? Were they used on the earliest Long Case Homes and the earliest New Style Standard? How about the late Spring Motor machines and early Triumphs? This is very intriguing. Great find and nice machine.
Harvey Kravitz

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Phonofreak wrote:I, too never saw a grooved mandrel before. Does anyone know the purpose of the grooved mandrel? Were they used on the earliest Long Case Homes and the earliest New Style Standard? How about the late Spring Motor machines and early Triumphs? This is very intriguing. Great find and nice machine.
Harvey Kravitz
These are photos of my Red Banner Home No 46248, which I'm sure Martin will be able to say how early in the production run it was.
As you can see it has the normal smooth nickel mandrel, and also a sidearm B reproducer.
I have also included a shot of my Squarebox Standard 4 clip grooved mandrel, SN 38595.
Alistair
Attachments
S'box S mandrel 005.jpg
Red Banner Home 002.jpg
Red Banner Home 003.jpg
Red Banner Home 004.jpg

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Nice machine Steve! I also have this same mandrel on one of my homes --- Ser. No. H37543. When I bought that Home, a very advanced/knowledgeable collector told me the mandrel was wrong and came from a dictating machine, but it sure looked right to me. I have seen one other in person a few years ago, but didn't think to note that machine's Ser. No.

Congratulations,
Bob

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

BOB,
I was also initially told that my Standard Mandrel, being grooved, was from a later Ediphone.
Having since examined several Ediphones of different periods I have not come across this style of mandrel being utilised. They are also longer to fit dictation blanks.
Alistair.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Just to follow up on the grooved mandrel topic. Anyone else have one and I can add it to the list.

So far we have a data base of 4 Homes with the grooved mandrel.

H37543
Red Banner - H38919
Suitcase - H40145
H41613

And one Standard:

Standard 4 clip - S38595.

Groundhog74
Victor Jr

Post by Groundhog74 »

We have another, I bought this last month. All original except for reproduction horn and crank. Model C reproducer. Serial number H42430 I was told it left the factory in August 1901.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Steve,

I dug back through my photo archives and found another candidate for your list --- Suitcase Home SN 19211 with Grooved Mandrel and Bettini Reproducer, displayed for sale at Union, IL 06/14/2008. The SN of this machine is not at all in the range of the other Homes reported thus far --- I'll let you decide what to make of this. I have a total of seven pictures of this machine (if you need to see more).

BTW, my previously reported Home SN H37543 is also a Suitcase Home with the red banner on the lid.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Attachments
Suitcase Home SN 19211 with Grooved Mandrel and Bettini Reproducer.
Suitcase Home SN 19211 with Grooved Mandrel and Bettini Reproducer.
Suitcase Home SN 19211 with Grooved Mandrel and Bettini Reproducer --- Closeup.
Suitcase Home SN 19211 with Grooved Mandrel and Bettini Reproducer --- Closeup.

Patrick
Victor Jr

Post by Patrick »

Truly stunning! Drooling over every pic onto my keyboard.