Blackberry Storm your Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PhonoJack
Victor Jr

Blackberry Storm your Victrola

Post by PhonoJack »

The previous thread "Victrola-ize your iPhone" prompted me to start this new thread, about the Blackberry Storm, the recently introduced Blackberry phone with a touch screen and new features that's aiming squarely at Apple's iPhone market. Ok, I'm know I'm such a techie, but really not; I got it for Christmas, a first-class business phone too. Personally, I think it blows away Apple's iPhone on price, performance and features and you're not locked into AT&T only.

So what is Blackberry Storm your Victrola? Instead of making your Blackberry play like a Victrola (which it can also do), it listens to your Victrola or any accoustic, orthophonic, analog sound (not digitial, ie .mp3 or .wav or any similary digital format) and it will tell you exactly what (reasonably popular) song is playing. No secret tricks here. Put on an old 78 or 45 or LP, even a cylinder or diamond disc, yes BA or even 2/4min or wax) and let your Blackberry Storm listen to the music and tell you the name of the song.

I don't mean to promote Blackberry (RIMM) or Verizon (VZ) but the technology is really cool. Tom Edison would love this because it's analog, can use wind-up technology, is not broadcast AM or FM radio, no compression.... etc.

Verizon has a service called V CAST Song ID, which subscribers can use to recognize music that they hear playing by holding their phones at the sound source and letting a server listen-in. The server runs a “digital fingerprint” application which matches the notes being heard against a database of over 5 Million songs. The phone's applet then launches the V CAST store where the customer can buy the full song, a ringtone, ringback tone, or other media associated with the musician.

How many times have you heard a song (typically on the radio) but now on your phonograph, gramophone, graphophone, (I've been feeding it 45's too) and wondered, what's the name of that song? I'm told Verizon Wireless is pushing (actually repushing, this has been out there) by offering Song ID for free. "We’ll help you find the music you love, then make it easy for you to buy.” says Verizon.

The Song ID is free. The business behind this is Verizon's hope that users will want to buy that song from a Verizon connected service provider (incremental revenue), also subscribers will use the smartphone for more content and connect time earning Verizon more customer loyalty.

Have fun,

Jack

PS, yes it will listen to your PC's speaker too. :mrgreen:

scooter
Victor O

Re: Blackberry Storm your Victrola

Post by scooter »

Cool...The iphone has a similar app called Shazam that is free to download and does the same thing and will allow you to purchase music from itunes. I haven't tried it yet though.

My favorite app is Pandora radio which streams music forever and free. You can also do this from their website: www.pandora.com. My company blocks the site so I use my iphone to listen at work. You create 'stations' by typing in an artist, band or song and it will play that plus other music that sounds similar. My favorite stations are Bix Beiderbecke, Jellyroll Morton, Benny Goodman and Louis Armstrong. I even tried Vernon Dalhart and can listen to some of his songs along with other "hillbilly" type tunes. Give Pandora a try on iphone or on your PC. 70,000+ songs all at your fingertips.
Scott

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I've used Verizon's V Cast Song ID mostly for music used in commercials or as background on TV shows. It couldn't identify Whispering Jack Smith's "If I Had You [Now]" which is why I needed you guys on the previous incarnation of this board! Thanks again everyone for that one.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

We are certainly racing towards a future of practically unlimited knowledge. I sometimes think we here now just might live to see the reality of the computer on Star Trek or something similar. I do wonder if we are ourselves right here and now doing the founding work. Collectors, hobbyists and enthusiasts of every ilk freely sharing and collecting so much relatively obscure knowledge of so many facets of life. I am quite sure that we shall see in our lifetime most movies, music, news and hopefully books available on demand electronically in our homes whenever we want. I just hope once we have everything delivered to us via the internet in our homes we don't forget how to be social animals. :?:

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!