Featured Phonograph No. 110 - Columbia HG (Home Grand)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 110 - Columbia HG (Home Grand)

Post by fran604g »

What an incredible collection, Chuck!

Thanks for posting the picture with the six "Grands"! Stunning... :shock:

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

A beautiful set of Grands! They kind of make the Edison Concerts look a bit stale, don't they? I very much like Concerts, but the Grands have such style - - and biggest, fanciest of them all - the GG - hasn't yet been pictured in this thread! :) (I don't count the Multiplex Grand since a complete example has yet to be found. :( )

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonogfp wrote:A beautiful set of Grands! They kind of make the Edison Concerts look a bit stale, don't they? I very much like Concerts, but the Grands have such style - - and biggest, fanciest of them all - the GG - hasn't yet been pictured in this thread! :) (I don't count the Multiplex Grand since a complete example has yet to be found. :( )

George P.
George,

You're right, if you've seen one Edison Concert you've seen them all. The GG is next on my "want" list.

Chuck

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I am gobsmacked by that gorgeous collection of Columbia Grands. All the way from AB to AD. Wow. That's a serious achievement.

I hope you find a GG. But you won't be getting mine, unless I meet an untimely demise. That is one of my top 5 favorite machines and I never intend to part with it during my lifetime. In many respects I consider it the 'ultimate.' I literally smile every time I look at it.

I've owned many Edison Concerts over the years, including 2 Duplex and a Polyphone. But they can't compare to an 'ordinary' GG.

IMHO, your mileage may differ. ;)

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

TinfoilPhono wrote:I am gobsmacked by that gorgeous collection of Columbia Grands. All the way from AB to AD. Wow. That's a serious achievement.
I hope you find a GG. But you won't be getting mine, unless I meet an untimely demise. That is one of my top 5 favorite machines and I never intend to part with it during my lifetime. In many respects I consider it the 'ultimate.' I literally smile every time I look at it.
I've owned many Edison Concerts over the years, including 2 Duplex and a Polyphone. But they can't compare to an 'ordinary' GG.

Rene,

Thanks for the compliment, it took me 9 years to acquire that group of machines.

I'll find a GG, the hard part is going to be finding one in great condition at a price I can justify.

Chuck

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Drool! :mrgreen:

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.