Vernis Martin "Flat Top" Pooley Victrola?!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Vernis Martin "Flat Top" Pooley Victrola?!

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

yet another old thread, but did anyone ever find photos of this machine? Certainly looks interesting.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone78 wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:36 pm If you get a more recently issued copy of LFD, there is a full write about this machine, the designer and full color pics of this prototype. It is made of mahogany.
I just recently got a new copy, and the OP's machine is not in there: it goes straight from the Pooley to the 'frieze' model.

- Bill

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Lucius1958 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 pm
gramophone78 wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:36 pm If you get a more recently issued copy of LFD, there is a full write about this machine, the designer and full color pics of this prototype. It is made of mahogany.
I just recently got a new copy, and the OP's machine is not in there: it goes straight from the Pooley to the 'frieze' model.

- Bill
Bill, maybe six years ago when I posted the above, Bob's "Look For The Dog" was the most recent published copy available :lol: . I can tell you the 2005 edition certainly has a nice write-up on that prototype Victrola........with color photo.

I would suggest any new collector to buy a copy of this book and any or all of George & Tim's books. Valuable information and photos that took decades to amass.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

I guess I'll have to get the 2005 version, then

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone78 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm
Lucius1958 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 pm

- Bill
Bill, maybe six years ago when I posted the above, Bob's "Look For The Dog" was the most recent published copy available :lol: . I can tell you the 2005 edition certainly has a nice write-up on that prototype Victrola........with color photo.

I would suggest any new collector to buy a copy of this book and any or all of George & Tim's books. Valuable information and photos that took decades to amass.
Having looked more carefully, I do find the Mertz prototype on pp. 72/3. My bad. :oops:

- Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

gramophone78 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm I would suggest any new collector to buy a copy of this book and any or all of George & Tim's books. Valuable information and photos that took decades to amass.
Thanks for the testimonial, Wayne.

The books I co-authored with Tim indeed took many years and much expense to develop. While not 100% infallible, they're as good as we could make them, and I'm proud of the achievement. In 30 years, we'll probably be gone and our collections dispersed (neither of our families have any interest outside of a machine or two), but those books will still be providing guidance to collectors.

Here's a description of each book:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15832&p=91754&hilit ... ire#p91754

George P.

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

George,

Is there a master index for all of the books? I believe I have them all but it is hard to find an individual machine without going through all of them.

Harry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

hbick2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:34 am George,

Is there a master index for all of the books? I believe I have them all but it is hard to find an individual machine without going through all of them.

Harry
Harry,

There's a Master Index in the 2nd Edition of The Talking Machine Compendium. BUT...we wrote another book after that one (A World of Antique Phonographs), so it's necessary to consult the indexes in both books. It has been suggested that I combine these indexes and post the result on one or more of the APS sites, but I haven't done so. Maybe this winter!

George P.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The model in question in the photo is called a ‘Mertz’ cabinet, after the designer.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

JohnM wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am The model in question in the photo is called a ‘Mertz’ cabinet, after the designer.
the cabinet in particular is what I'm interested in. I wonder if there was more than one.