Edison C-200

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
McIntus
Victor Jr
Personal Text: It's a what?

Edison C-200

Post by McIntus »

Hello, all. I've been looking for an Edison machine to play my 100 or so Diamond Discs on, and I've run across a Model C-200 which seems to be in nice shape (a few scratches and the motor is a bit noisy, but I can fix that). They owner wants $400 for it. Is that too much and is there anything I should watch out for on this model? Any advice will be gratefully received.
Attachments
A bit dusty, but hasn't been refinished or monkeyed with.
A bit dusty, but hasn't been refinished or monkeyed with.
edison1.jpg

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Edison C-200

Post by phonophan79 »

The C-200 or the "Adam" is not "rare" but you definitely see it less than other models of DD machines.

Nowadays in this economy, who knows about prices... but if it's a clean machine, good diamond stylus and working mechanics... I would say that's an OK price, not a bargain, but fair... can you try for $300? ;)

From the pictures it would need a good cleaning, but that just looks like dust and not serious damage. The pictures seem to match mine, from what I can remember... comes with the speed control, and gold plated parts not all DD's have that. Ask if they have the key as well. If you want a key, that could set you back another $50-$70 bucks.

Maybe some other members will offer their advice on the subject. Hope this helps. :-)

I made this video before I started making "good quality" videos... but here was my C-200.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZtd4W5sHzM[/youtube]

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I don't know if the record on the machine was just played with the stylus or not, but it appears to show a change in grooves part way in which could denote a bad needle? No way to know without running it in the blank areas to see? That could set you back an easy 100.00 more. Other wise it appears to be an attractive machine with a little work.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I like these machines.I have one that was given to me when I was teenager . I've posted these pics before but here it is. If I could find a decent French Polisher I would have the finish renewed, because I think they're quite handsome.

Jim
Attachments
DSC00010.JPG
DSC00009.JPG

richardh

Post by richardh »

That looks like a very nice machine. I am sure it will clean up very nicely indeed. I have only a very few DDs and have never bothered to invest in getting an original machine to play them on - I just use my modern deck with a pick up rewired for vertical cut disks.

I also get the impression from discussions here in the past that the needles for these machines can be a bit tricky as there has been lots of debate about needles changing the look of grooves or leaving lines on the smooth run in / run out areas of the disk.

RJ 8-)

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Let's see if I can post a sound clip.....This was is an experiment I did last year when I first got my digital cam, I was moving the cam to see where the sound was was the best. As you can hear, (if the clip works that is) that machine is LOUD...or at least the reproducer is. When you play it boost your bass a bit and see how it sounds! :ugeek:

Jim
Attachments
Edison3 003.mpg
(767.59 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

richardh

Post by richardh »

It works :D and your right it does sound good.

RJ 8-)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Richard,
Don't let the stylus stories put you off a DD. I've never had to replace a stylus yet, and one of them I've been using for 30 yrs, another for 20 yrs.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Yes a good needle of the older type is a joy. It will remain so as long as one does not end up accidentally damaging it. Many of the poor records around have been damaged by needles that were no longer good. Most casual owners probably don't realize the problem even exist. I purchased a C-38 and the thing had a needle that would eat the record right before your eyes. Of course the owner had been attempting to play the records which were all beyond saving. But with all those issues, if you can be lucky and get a good needle either with your machine or from a different head latter you will have something to be proud of. I am pretty much of the opinion after purchasing four new needles in two years and being left with one that does not leave a mark, that old needles are worth the attempt to obtain. I was lucky enough to buy two heads on ebay that had good needles, so they are out there, and that is the way I will go if I need one in the future, I would rather buy old heads and take a chance than buy a new needle I don't trust.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Let's see if I can post a sound clip.....This was is an experiment I did last year when I first got my digital cam, I was moving the cam to see where the sound was was the best. As you can hear, (if the clip works that is) that machine is LOUD...or at least the reproducer is. When you play it boost your bass a bit and see how it sounds! :ugeek:
Jim,

That sounds excellent and, although the video is a bit dark, it appears to be a very nice machine as well. In my experience, the xylophone always recorded quite well (as does the banjo).

Thanks for sharing the clip with us.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.