Edison external horn record player

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison external horn record player

Post by fran604g »

Schlick wrote:Does anyone else find it significant the the prototype pictured: a) Does not display an obvious record tracking ability (might the horn support interfere?); and b) Does not appear to incorporate linear tracking as in [all?] other Edisons?
The mast at the rear of the machine (in the picture of this particular post) could have performed the rotation of the horn and reproducer, I believe.

Best,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Weren't there pictures posted of the mechanism in a MAPS bulletin? I remember the cut line stating that this pic should lay to rest the rumour that the pics of the prototype weren't operational.

Jim

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

I found a better quality image of it here...

Vince
Youtube

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Garret wrote:
George,

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on some of the more interesting items in storage that might not be finding their way to display anytime soon? Is the vault you describe the same one as where the remaining masters are kept? I've heard about it, but unfortunately have yet to see it, or make a trip to the TAENHP for that matter, even though my treasured original A&N Disc machine is now part of the collection.

Sincerely,

Garret
I'm not very well versed with what the Site has in storage. I haven't been there since the renovation (although I may be visiting there in April), so I don't even know what's on display anymore. For those with a copy of Discovering Antique Phonographs, there are items shown in the book that hadn't seen the light of day for many years. Things that, at the time, we didn't even know existed. I hope some of those items are on display, but as I say, I'm ignorant of that beyond what I've seen in a few pictures.

I was describing the underground vault, but there's a small vault above ground too. That smaller vault used to have cylinder records (and masters I think) in it, but that could all be changed now. The Edison Disc masters are all at the Henry Ford now as far as I know. Most of the large underground vault's floor space seemed to be covered with metal file cabinets. Nowadays, many of those documents can be accessed online through the Rutgers site for the Edison Papers Project. What a great resource! :)

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:
Schlick wrote:Does anyone else find it significant the the prototype pictured: a) Does not display an obvious record tracking ability (might the horn support interfere?); and b) Does not appear to incorporate linear tracking as in [all?] other Edisons?
The mast at the rear of the machine (in the picture of this particular post) could have performed the rotation of the horn and reproducer, I believe.

Best,
Fran
Fran's right. The prototype external horn Disc Phonograph was apparently based upon U.S. Patent No.1,049,215, awarded to Frank L. Dyer. (Go to Google Patents and you can view the entire patent.)
US1049215-0.png
US1049215-1.png
For those who have Ron Dethlefson's book, Edison Diamond Disc Recreations, Records & Artists, 1910-1929, there are three photos (from the Site) shown of this machine.

George P.

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Post by Victrolaboy »

On the mast at the rear of the machine their appears to be some sort of knob so could it be a similar design of the Edison B-80 but it raises and lowers the whole reproducer and horn assembly? This makes me think that this machine is linear tracking and doesn't just rotate freely like on a Victor machine.
Attachments
image.jpg
Nick Hoffmann

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'm going to be picky here- NO Edison Diamond Disc machine offers "Linear" tracking. On all of them the reproducer takes a radial path across the record.

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Post by Victrolaboy »

estott wrote:I'm going to be picky here- NO Edison Diamond Disc machine offers "Linear" tracking. On all of them the reproducer takes a radial path across the record.
When I said linear tracking that's just the word I used for it. I wasn't saying that the movement of the reproducer was actually linear.
Nick Hoffmann

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Victrolaboy wrote:On the mast at the rear of the machine their appears to be some sort of knob so could it be a similar design of the Edison B-80 but it raises and lowers the whole reproducer and horn assembly? This makes me think that this machine is linear tracking and doesn't just rotate freely like on a Victor machine.
From the photos that were more recently posted in ITG, it clearly shows that the knob raised and lowered the horn and reproducer onto the disc, while a wheel and rack much like the A/B-80 provided the tracking.

As for the reproducer, I agree with Frow's conclusion that the Company were wary of possible suits from Pathé: also, some dissatisfaction over its performance may have prompted a redesign.

Until the prototype's fate is known for certain, it will remain one of those fantasies for collectors, like the Columbia MG...

Bill

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Post by Victrolaboy »

" Until the prototype's fate is known for certain, it will remain one of those fantasies for collectors, like the Columbia MG..."
What's the columbia MG? I've never heard of that one.
Nick Hoffmann