Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 115- Edison D.D. A-425

Post by edisonplayer »

That is ONE classy "victrola",as my friend Jerry Donnell would've said! :D edisonplayer

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Considering the good condition of the cabinet and the excellent recreation of the grill, I don't think it would be heresy to repaint the bedplate. At some ill-defined point, you cross from originality to unsightly.

I once traded my Amberola 1A to a friend because it was unsightly and I knew he could do more justice to the restoration than I could. Seeing what he achieved, I had absolutely no regrets, it was the right thing to do - besides I can always go over to his house and admire it!

Repainting the bedplate would not be too hard. If correct decals are not available, you could check with shops that repaint automobiles. Some of those guys are real artists painting pinstripes.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
If you decide to have the bed plate redone Gregg Cline does a professional job of refinishing these.
Pete

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Amazing machine which will no doubt be the star attraction of your collection, even though you have a beautiful Columbia Grand in the background.

Bruce

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Larry is right... It IS his old machine.. Woodgrain is like a fingerprint. The grain matches exactly You can plainly see that large "R" in the grain..on both machines. It's amazing that the machine floated around for the last almost 50 years... It's still in great shape!

Congrats Bill!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

You keep out doing yourself Bill. You certainly are gifted at finding gold, and turning it into a diamond. Humbled by your presence and your work.
-Wayne