Thorens

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Neophone
Victor III

Thorens

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

I stumbled across this interesting little page on Thorens: "My Thorens Collection".

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Thorens

Post by phonophan79 »

Pretty neat, thanks for sharing!

Their current top of the line TD 550 turntable is only $13,000. :-) All their present day turntables are pretty wild looking tho.

solophoneman
Victor II

Re: Thorens

Post by solophoneman »

The closest I get to a thoren's phonograph is my little Pal Portable suitcase style phonograph from about 1922, as it has a little reliable and quiet Thoren's made motor. When I have a chance I will post a photo of it here and its unusual but simple Tone arm and horn set up.

Ok, here some photos of the The Pal Portable, one of the flood of off-Brand Portable that came on the Market in the early 1920's. It has a very nice quiet and reliable Thoren's Motor. I believe they are Swiss made. The first photo shows it before the combination tone arm and horn are set up. The 2nd and 3rd photos show the combo horn/tone arm positioned in the hole and elevated above the flat wooden back section so that the sound can reflect off the bottom of the back section. Of course the horn and tone arm can swivel to easily to play a 78rpm record. The Plaza Music Company announced its Portable Pal Phonograph in June of 1922."a $50 portable to retail at $35." It was sold to dealers for $20, with cowhide case machines available to dealers at $25 (suggested retail price $40). Some finishes are walnut, others mahogany.