Featured Phonograph No. 114 - Victrola 230

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 114 - Victrola 230

Post by FloridaClay »

Pathé wrote:Yes it should be as much as an 18 as it cost more when new,and sold fewer but most collectors prefer uprights or table top machines keeping the value lower
It is the problem of space. There are some wonderful consoles, like the 230, I would dearly love to have, but just no place to put them and many others have that same issue.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

alang wrote:A very nice machine. I like the look of consoles, they fit today's interiors much better than uprights i think. That four spring motor must be nice too, that should run for 20 minutes when fully wound.
Thanks for sharing.
Andreas
My experience selling machines was just the opposite. The console style was hard to move, while uprights always sold fast. This was a few years ago when antiques were still selling for decent money.
Dave

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Dave D wrote:
alang wrote:A very nice machine. I like the look of consoles, they fit today's interiors much better than uprights i think. That four spring motor must be nice too, that should run for 20 minutes when fully wound.
Thanks for sharing.
Andreas
My experience selling machines was just the opposite. The console style was hard to move, while uprights always sold fast. This was a few years ago when antiques were still selling for decent money.
Dave
My opinion has been that people buy uprights because they are immediately recognizable as "Victrolas". The opposite of the 20's customer who wanted to play down the function.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Funny, I would place the market value of the XVIII less than it is and the 230 more than it is. Uprights sometimes are over rated, and definitely way more common. I personally have three consoles in my permanent collection. Russie

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

With consoles I just don't like stooping over to play a record or wind it, and I'm vertically challenged as it is! :lol:
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Just want to mention:
One of the most beautiful victrolas I've ever seen in person was a 230 in Circassian walnut.
It was at the Wayne, NJ show about a year ago and was being delivered to a collector in a private deal.
I did not inquire about who the new owner was, as it was a private deal.
I wonder if it went to a forum member.
The machine was absolutely stunning!

Gene

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

We showed a Circassian Walnut Victrola 230 on pages 184-185 of A World of Antique Phonographs. Here's page 184; the other full-page photo shows the machine with its lid open. :)

George P.
Attachments
From "A World of Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "A World of Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Now for that one I might get rid of other things to make room. :D

Clay
Last edited by FloridaClay on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The hump back version is also quite eye catching- the curves of the lid are for once an asset.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

i'm guessing that the 230 is one of the, if not the, best-sounding non-Ortho acoustic machines Victor made, given the "fat" tone arm with no. 2 sound box, and the huge horn opening. Any opinions?