Columbia Acess. Does Anyone know what this is?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Re: Columbia Acess. Does Anyone know what this is?

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for all the great input! You previously referred to my Harvard as a Type FH, and mentioned you had one too. Well, after studying the text and pictures of several repro Sears catalogs, I think the machine pictured in my May 05, 2015 post above is in fact a legitimate hybrid of two different Harvard models --- The No. 6, and the Type FH.

I think the cabinet is likely that of a Harvard No.6 --- note the position of the crank (centered on the No.6, instead of forward like on the Type FH), and the position of the piston brake (in the rear of the cabinet on the No. 6, instead of in the front like on the Type FH).

Further, I think the horn is more similar to the one pictured on the Harvard Type FH (short conical end near the horn elbow, as opposed to the noticeably longer corresponding portion of the horn pictured with the Type 6). Also, the No. 6 is described by Sears as having a maroon horn with gold stripes. The horn of the Type FH is just described as baked enamel (no color specified) with gold stripes. Mine is Black with gold stripes.

I realize the text and renderings of the machines in the catalogs may not faithfully represent the actual models sold, so I don't know how accurate any of this is.

Is it possible to see a picture of the Harvard (like mine) you eluded to?

Thanks for everyone's input about these fascinating machines,
Bob
Attachments
Sears Cat. Harvard No. 6.jpg
Sears Cat. Harvard Type FH.jpg
Last edited by Pathe Logical on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Other Harvard machines and related info can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43529 .

Bob

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I have a Harvard that I got in original, unrestored condition, that has a horn with that type of end fitting on it. Alas, the rubber elbow was missing, as they all seem to be, but it does confirm Larry's assertion that it is a Harvard horn end. (I don't have the machine handy right now, so I don't know if mine has the hump or not.)

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Thank you Bob for posting the old advertisement, i have learned alot about the harvard

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

Here are some pics of my Harvard. When I found this machine, the original rubber elbow was in pieces. Luckily, Ernest Allen here in St. Louis had a Harvard with an original rubber elbow in great shape. I recast an elbow using his for the mold. It worked pretty well, and is hard to tell it from the original. As you can see, the elbow original horn adapter was still present.

Bill
DSC05364 (Medium).JPG
DSC05365 (Medium).JPG
DSC05366 (Medium).JPG