Featured Phonograph № 114 - Sonora Invincible

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Featured Phonograph № 114 - Sonora Invincible

Post by audiophile102 »

Model:Sonora Invincible
Serial #: 190603
Year(s) Made: 1916
Original Cost: No. 1 $375. Mahogany (Special Order Cireassin or American Walnut $30 extra)
Case/Cabinet Size: Width 24 inches, Height 52 inches, depth 24 inches
Turntable/Mandrel: 12-Inch
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Sonora, with swiveling arm assembly to play lateral and vertical cut discs. Mine is chrome plated and it should be gold colored to match the rest of the trim. Hopefully, I will find a replacement in gold.
Motor: Extra Heavy, Triple Spring, Gold Plated, Plays Nearly 45 Minutes or Fifteen 10 inch Records.
Horn Dimensions: Internal
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: $1200.00 (NFS)
Interesting Facts: A brief history of the Sonora Elite Phonograph with its famous Bulge sided Ornate Cabinet, and other unique Features. Sonora was founded in the early 19teens and offered this unique style of Cabinetry on its top of the line models such as the Supreme, Invincible, Grand, Elite, and Baby Grand. Each machine came with an Official Sonora Guarantee Certificate, which protected the Phonograph against any material defects for 1 year. Each certificate contained the facsimile signature of George Brightman, the President of Sonora, and on the reverse side was proudly listed all of the patents and their origins under which Sonora produced its phonographs. The Cabinets also had the Sonora Patented Record Storage just below the horn, as well as a handy pull out Storage draw where you could keep spare parts, and catalogs and other record or phonograph related items. The Sonora ornate all wood Tone arm was also a unique and special option, which the Company touted as offering a Complete wood "sound page" assuring excellence in tone and overall sound quality. Sonora's Bulge sided Cabinets were made and patented by The Herzog Art Cabinet Co. of Saginaw Michigan, a Company which was started by John Herzog back around the turn of the last century and specialized in the mfg. of artistic furniture, Cabinets, and also made early Cylinder storage cabinets for the Then fledgling Phonograph Industry. It's most remembered design were these famous bulge sided cabinets which were offered by Sonora. Sonora later move its production facilities to Saginaw in 1917, and two years later purchased the entire facilities owned and operated by John Herzog. Herzog was so proud and enamored to his bulge sided cabinet design, that he modeled the porch on his Home in Saginaw after it, and also had his Gardeners trim some of the huge hedges on his estate in that shape as well. The Sonora Co. continued its success into the 1920's but when with the great depression of 1929, and record and phonograph sales soon falling to but a small fraction of pre depression numbers, the Company went bankrupt in 1930.

Thanks to R. Coon of Appleton, WI for all the Sonoma Company history.

Favorite Characteristics: The motor meter automatically indicating at all times the number of records that can be played before rewinding is necessary. The speed control and the automatic stop. The best feature is the beautiful bulge sided cabinet. It's a work of art by itself.
Sonora Invincible 5 view 1.jpg
Sonora Invincible 3 view 1.jpg
Last edited by audiophile102 on Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Featured Phonograph № 114 - Sonoma Invincible

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Thanks for posting this!
This Sonoma certainly commands attention! I really like the motor meter too! Have you ever counted how many turns it takes to wind it up completely?
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Thanks for posting this!
This Sonoma certainly commands attention! I really like the motor meter too! Have you ever counted how many turns it takes to wind it up completely?
Bob
I have not tried to wind it all the way up. I have the meter indicating about half way to the top and I keep it there since I only have a small 78 record collection and I need to get some more needles. I give it about 10 turns of the crank after playing two records. I don't think it would hurt it to wind it all the way up, but it is very old so I don't want to push it
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nothing says phono elegance more than a big beautiful swelled sided Sonora. Thanks for sharing. Jerry Blais

oltractor
Victor I

Re: Featured Phonograph № 114 - Sonora Invincible

Post by oltractor »

Absolutely beautiful

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

I have replaced the tone arm today and my Sonora is complete!
Gold Tone Arm1.jpg

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

The Margaret Dumont of phonographs!

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

What a great machine. Glad you were able to complete it. Has to be a good feeling to have it back to original again.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

bigshot wrote:The Margaret Dumont of phonographs!
Is this a compliment? :P

See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0241669/medi ... nmmd_md_sm

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

Henry wrote:
bigshot wrote:The Margaret Dumont of phonographs!
Is this a compliment? :P

See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0241669/medi ... nmmd_md_sm
I would assume the remark refers to the shape of the cabinet. Mae West might have been closer to the mark. It was an expensive machine in it's day and Margaret Dumont always played the high society snob. Both ways it's a compliment, but mostly because I love Marx Brothers movies and Margaret Dumont.