Phonographs at the FDR Historic Site WWII Encampment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Phonographs at the FDR Historic Site WWII Encampment

Post by FloridaClay »

I really like the handsome finished wood motor decks on these.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

epigramophone
Thanks for the post. Your portables are very nice. The Columbia branded model has a very unusual case covering, very attractive. Love the wood deck also. I have a blue 102 also, it came out of the trash somewhere in NYC, I have posted about it in the past. Without a doubt the best portable I own.
Mike

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thankyou for your kind words Mike.

I acquired the Columbia in 2008 from the grand-daughter of the original owner, who had bought it new in Hong Kong just before the Japanese invaded. It then travelled halfway around the world and was in deepest darkest Devon when I found it.

No collector or dealer has ever told me that they have seen another example with this distinctive case covering.

Roger.

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

Roger,
Great story, very interesting. I would be very interested to hear how you feel about the performance of the Columbia Viva Tonal sound box that is mounted on your portable, and the machine in general. I have one of these Viva tonal sound boxes, very heavy and very loud.
Mike