Two VV-XI's off Craigslist

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Two VV-XI's off Craigslist

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Last week I picked up these two XI's in Memphis, Tennessee. They were listed on Craigslist and I ended up getting the pair for $65. (One was $15 and the other was $65. Can you guess which one was which? :D ) These have all the original parts and pieces, most of which have been put in a separate box. One is missing the record storage and a LOT of veneer, and the other actually looks like it can be restored. They both worked and produced music, not very well, but they still played! These two "basket cases" :lol: will be an on going project of mine, and I will certainly post pictures of the process. I usually don't take on such high level projects, but I just couldn't pass up two machines for such a cheap price!

Any insight on these machines is certainly welcome! Let me know what you guys think!

-Connor
IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG
IMG_6570.JPG
IMG_6571.JPG

Henry
Victor V

Re: Two VV-XI's off Craigslist

Post by Henry »

Congratulations! Look like you can get one very presentable machine out of these two, with a bunch of spare parts left over. The needs and lacks of both can be supplied by either, as needed. You'll end up with a good one!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think it's wonderful that people like you take on what appears to be a daunting projects. It is a labor of love and the reward is bringing a machine back from the brink. I have a variety of spare Victrola parts. If you are missing something small that you've overlooked, please let me know. Jerry Blais

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Is the one missing all the veneer brown mahogany ?

Thanks for trying to save these... many collectors turn their noses up at the XI, because they are so common... but they are a respectable machine.

I love my Golden Oak XI from 1918. :)
De Soto Frank

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

Just me being my experimental self, but I feel like if it were me, I might be willing to fix up even the one that's missing so much veneer - but I would re-veneer it in curly maple, just because. I'm not saying you should, but with the opportunity so evident, I would. I'd stain it a nice, rich golden color and give it a piano finish.

Basically, I would make it match a Kentucky rifle. Like this:
fusil.jpg
fusil.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Is that bad? Be honest, I want to know before I actually do something like that someday.
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

winsleydale wrote: Is that bad? Be honest, I want to know before I actually do something like that someday.
It's not necessarily "bad," but it's not historically accurate either. If major changes are made to an antique phonograph, I hope the person performing those changes makes an indelible marking on the machine so that later researchers or purchasers won't be confused/misled.

I was once told by an individual that "The only difference between 'reproduction' and 'original' is one owner." Unfortunately, I've found this to be the case all too often. :(

George P.

winsleydale
Victor III
Personal Text: "Communism is the very definition of failure!"

Post by winsleydale »

Yes, you're right about that. If I ever did that, I would mark it like under the motor board or something. Maybe on top, but under where the turntable goes.
"Death is a preferable alternative to communism!" - Liberty Prime

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

De Soto Frank wrote:Is the one missing all the veneer brown mahogany ?
Yes I think that is what the outside looks like, but the inside of that machine (the one without the turntable) has a reddish tone, so I'm not actually sure!
winsleydale wrote:Is that bad? Be honest, I want to know before I actually do something like that someday.
As for that "Kentucky Rifle" finish, I think that would be a wonderful project! It would be something new and unusual on an XI, I think!

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

So your they guy that got there before me!!! Congratulations on the well priced score. If you need any help, let me know, I live North of you in Bartlett. I went to the shop on Monday and found they had sold on Saturday. The shop owner was interesting, was he not?

Matt

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

winsleydale wrote:Just me being my experimental self, but I feel like if it were me, I might be willing to fix up even the one that's missing so much veneer - but I would re-veneer it in curly maple, just because. I'm not saying you should, but with the opportunity so evident, I would. I'd stain it a nice, rich golden color and give it a piano finish.

Basically, I would make it match a Kentucky rifle. Like this:
fusil.jpg
Is that bad? Be honest, I want to know before I actually do something like that someday.
That would really be a challenge to pull off. There are just too many surfaces that there would be no way to cover with veneer to make it look right in the end. Rosewood, is one you might be able to do since you could grain the mahogany parts to match that which you would not be able to veneer. I have a Victrola XVI that was painted green both inside and out and one of the front legs is pretty badly mashed. Since I have some black piano lacquer left over from Kimball piano I refinished a long time ago and I think I'm going to make that XVI ebony for the heck of it. I have the cabinet all stripped and can't get all the green paint out of the wood since they stripped it before they decided it should be a bright pea green. Even thought it will probably look fine when it's done, nobody in their right mind would think it was original. That will be a lot easier to do than re-veneering the whole thing.

I did years ago see an L-door Victrola that was finished white from the factory. That was pretty ugly, but it was pretty beat up too. The lady wanted $15 for it and my Dad offered her $9. They reached an impasse. A guy here in town has the albums out of it and nobody seems to know where the Victrola itself went.

Well good luck with the project. I've done some veneer work like that, but never that much on any one machine! There used to be a guy that sold really nice two-ply veneer and it sure made a project like that MUCH easier. I don't think Bob Morgan is around anymore. I have no idea where to get a product like that anymore. Too few people doing anything much with their hands anymore. You will really learn to appreciate hide glue with a job like that as well.