horn question and remark

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bostonmike1
Victor I

horn question and remark

Post by bostonmike1 »

Hello my friends-----first allow me to address my question. at about this time last year i stole for $40.00 a metal morning-glory horn (from memory approx.cone size 26 inches x 31 inches long---- (i am too lazy to walk down to the basement for exact measurements) with no bends, creases or deformities.i would like this horn to be re-painted both exterior and interior but done correctly.it will be painted with the traditional flowers since my girlfriend will not allow anything x-rated. does anyone in this community know where i can achieve my need to have my horn painted?

here is the remark part---- i sent Marcel (saxymojo) a question (actually multimal questions) pertaining to a post he made last week. the response i received today from him was both lenghty and extremely detailed. this man gave his time and experience willingly. John and David, if you ever establish on this forum a "MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD" he has my vote. everyone who is part of this community has taught me so much also ( your posts are well written and informative) but i can only vote ONCE. i live in N.Y.C. and not Chicago! your friend --and i learn from you all---michael

Neophone
Victor III

Re: horn question and remark

Post by Neophone »

Michael,

Vote often and early for James Michael Curly! ;) Your vote is duly noted and my compliments to Marcel.

I seem to recall reading something this past year about painting horns. It might have been in ITG, I'll look through my copies as soon as I can Michael. (Between shoveling :roll: .. ;) ) I don't know if I have them all together. maybe another MAPS member has his or her copies handy tonight?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bostonmike1 wrote:does anyone in this community know where i can achieve my need to have my horn painted?
Since I cannot give you an informed answer on who you should contact on this (never needing this service myself), I will defer to someone else’s reply on this. It looks like you got a few responses while I was writing this...
bostonmike1 wrote:John and David, if you ever establish on this forum a "MAN OF THE YEAR AWARD" he has my vote. everyone who is part of this community has taught me so much also ( your posts are well written and informative) but i can only vote ONCE.
If we ever did such a thing—and another board that we both belong to, U.S. Coin Collectors (which is run by a mutual friend), does have ‘The Annual Black Diamond Award’ awarded by the votes of the members.
The U.S. Coin Collectors admin, Coinman wrote:
  1. Amount of annual posts, meaning the recipient must be active during the year. I actually went through all the members who have a post on the board to see when they last posted. Good thing we don’t have a couple thousand members... ;D
  2. Information about numismatics shared during the year. This to me is one of the most important. That, after all, is why the board is here.
  3. Courtesies toward fellow members. All are nominees this year under this category once again, and I thank you all.
I do not know if we would want to do something similar, but in the even that we considered it, I think we would want to model ourselves after his criteria (which excludes me from winning that on U.S. Coin Collectors, even though Harry keeps voting for me). Ironically enough, the member that has won both years (nugget_hill) lives in Australia.

And despite John’s exhortations to vote for James Michael Curley, I’m not sure if I am sold yet—even if he was a native of our home town.

Marcel is a great choice, and I would have a very hard time picking who would get my vote here for something like that—there are so many good choices that it would be hard to narrow it down to one person (for me).

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

hello my friend SCHWEG--- i thank you for your reply, but it appears this company is up for sale. my concern is that if i send my horn to them, then everything could go "side way" and i would never see my horn again. but thank you, sir for your advice. your friend michael

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Bostonmike,

I looked through links and I found this:

CTAntiques, LLC
Will repaint phonograph horns. Our design or yours. Many flower styles to choose from. Can also replicate the design on your badly worn horn. Repair and refinishing of cases is offered as well.

For horn samples http://www.picturelist.com/auctions/sho ... rhorns.jpg
For information ctant4@attbi.com
Alice Lamont
CTAntiques, LLC
70 Litchfield Rd.
Unionville, CT 06085

--------------------

I don't know anything about them or if they are still in business, but they should be within driving distance if they're still around.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Michael, The Smith's have had the "for sale" sign out for a while. I guess if you are interested, give them a call to see if they are still taking in new work.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

The Smiths, (last time I saw them at a show) still had a good number of repainted horns for sale and Jayne told me they weren't doing them anymore.
But it's worth a shout.
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!