Electricity and Victor Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Electricity and Victor Phonographs

Post by SonnyPhono »

Just thought I would throw my two cents in...I don't have any experience working on electric phonographs as I am not quite as attracted to those as I am the earlier machines at the moment. Im still new though so who knows what direction I may head?! However, I had to pick up this combo I found as it was at a fairly good price, (I think...don't know much about them) and was a very early serial number. The price was $350 for both pieces which seemed ok to me. :)

I haven't worked on it at all yet, but the cabinet that has the record ejector is apparently a Pooley cabinet and is pretty handy. I don't know much about those either. Anyway, just thought I would post my thoughts. I will probably have plenty of questions when I do delve into working in this one though. ;)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

SonnyPhono wrote:Just thought I would throw my two cents in...I don't have any experience working on electric phonographs as I am not quite as attracted to those as I am the earlier machines at the moment. Im still new though so who knows what direction I may head?! However, I had to pick up this combo I found as it was at a fairly good price, (I think...don't know much about them) and was a very early serial number.

Wow, that XVII is quite an early model--a first series electrified version in fact, dating from 1916. (SEE: http://www.victor-victrola.com/XVII.htm) The very first Victrolas with the electric motor option hit the market only three years earlier, as noted above.

Not sure who the early electric motor experts are on this board, but if you have any questions, I'm sure someone will walk you through the steps.

OF

NashTwin8
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Learning and having fun!

Post by NashTwin8 »

Wow! Sonny, that looks like some interesting stuff. I'll go ahead and display my ignorance by asking a really basic question: How do these two cabinets/units work together as a combo? Record ejector? :shock: What's that?

Take care,

Jerry K

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Well, they don't work or depend on each other. They are completely separate pieces. The small cabinet is the piece with the record ejector. The record ejector is what I found so handy. I have seen these in the bottom of other phonographs before, (I have a Columbia Grafonola with one in the bottom) but this is the first I have seen by itself without the actual phonograph. It holds records upright and these can be retrieved by pushing the buttons above them "ejecting" them for easy access and storage. It's a stand alone cabinet built by the Pooley Co. just for this purpose so it makes for extra record storage that looks good as well.

The XVII has record storage in the bottom but not an ejector. They were unique so I had to buy them. I'm looking for a nice Victor to put on the record cabinet as I think they would go well together. :)