A and B 250 Database Project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: A and B 250 Database Project

Post by fran604g »

Thank you Bob, I'll enter your data into my spreadsheet.

EDIT: Bob, I think you may have gotten off-track around question #10? Could you please check your entries again for us?

Warmest regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

1913Concert
Victor Jr

Post by 1913Concert »

Sorry Fran, I sure did get off there! This is the correct information:
#10 Black
#10a No Mute ball or any evidence of any ever having been there
#11Gold
#11a Has corner decorations
#12 Lever assembly mounted to the cabinet

The rest seems OK. Thanks again, Bob

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you Bob, that's perfect.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

Thus far I have recorded over 60 A-250s in contrast to only 14 B-250s. Many of us have known that the B-250 was much rarer than the A-250, but this is (for me) very illuminating!

Thanks for everyone's continued participation,
Fran

pg1876
Victor O

Post by pg1876 »

Hi Fran - hope this can be of some help!

1) Model designation on the data plate? A250

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "SM - 8351"

3) What is the number stamped into the top of the motor-plate beneath the turntable? 5790-A1

4) While you have the turntable removed, how many oil “ports” are present on the top of the motor-plate? 2

5) Looking at the underside of the motor-plate (if you are able to) how many oil “tubes” are present? 4

6) What is the “Date” on the paper label stuck to the inside of the cabinet rear inspection door? 4-3-14

7) What is the stamped number on the “1st Horn Joint” located directly below the motor mechanism? none/unsure

8) What is the stamped number on the “2nd Horn Joint” just before the horn flairs out? (This one may be difficult to locate without disassembly, so please don't go out of your way for this one).not currently disassembled

9) Is there a number conspicuously stamped into the cabinet on the bottom of the horn compartment? If there is; what is the number, and is it in the “Front” or “Rear” of the horn compartment? 8351 in Rear

10) What color is the motor-plate finish? “Reddish-Maroon”, “Chocolate-Brown” or “Black”. (Shown in pictures below) “Chocolate-Brown”

10a) Is there a "Tone control or Mute Ball" present, "Yes or No"; No

11) What color is the pin striping on the perimeter of the motor-plate? “Gold” or “Gold and Blue”. Gold

11a) Is there decorative pin striping applied to the corners of the motor-plate? “Yes” or “No”. Yes

12) Is the operating lever (lowers the reproducer for play) mounted to the “Cabinet” or is it mounted through the “Motor-plate” (Shown in pictures below) Cabinet

13) Which type of start/stop lever configuration does your unit have? “Type 1”, “Type 2”, or “Type 3”? (Shown in pictures below) Type 2

14) What is the cabinet wood type? "Mahogany", or "Oak". Mahogany

15) Are there “Tone Slots” cut into in the sides of the cabinet? “Yes” or “No”. No

16) Is the horn painted in “Mahogany Wood Grain”, “Oak Wood Grain”, or “Black”? Mahogany Wood Grain

17) What type of record storage system does yours have; “17-A”, “17-B”, “17-C”, “17-D”, “17-E, 17-F”? (See images below) 17-B

18) Is there an “Official Laboratory Medallion” mounted to the turntable trim piece? If there is, please describe it in detail. No

19) Is there “grille cloth” present? If there is; what color is it, and please provide a brief description of the material. Yes, seemingly original or near original. Hunter green in color (on inside where not faded)

20) Are there any dealer tag(s) or decal(s) present? If “Yes”, then please submit name, address, etc. and the location it is found on the cabinet. No

21) What is the "Cabinet Factory No." (if any)? This can usually be found on a sticker inside of the horn compartment of the cabinet. Please provide the “Form No.” and any other notable numbers if present. No. 2

22) Does your cabinet have a conspicuous “Lip” around the inside top perimeter of your turntable compartment? “Lip” or “No Lip”. Lip

23) How tall is your Phonograph, measuring from the bottom of the right front foot up along the cabinet corner frame piece (do not include the caster if one is present, please) turntable compartment corner? (As shown “Image 1” and “Image 2” below) 44.25"

24) Are there any sales receipts, shipping documentation, etc., original to the phonograph? Dated and serialized materials are particularly noteworthy. Sadly not

Additionally, I have noticed that some mahogany A-250's (mine included) have a decal or sticker that has been stained over on the wood frame inside the turntable compartment. Do you have any knowledge of what this was? Unfortunately mine has some serious scratching but I can make out a few letters

Best,

-Peter

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you Peter, I'll add yours to the spreadsheet. I'm enjoying the present burst of activity to the thread, and truly appreciate the member's participation.

Additionally, I have noticed that some mahogany A-250's (mine included) have a decal or sticker that has been stained over on the wood frame inside the turntable compartment. Do you have any knowledge of what this was? Unfortunately mine has some serious scratching but I can make out a few letters

I have no reports of this prior to you mentioning the feature. Could you post a photo? I'm curious as to what it may represent.

Cheers,
Fran

pg1876
Victor O

Post by pg1876 »

IMG_4180.jpg
Here is the best photo I have on hand of my machine at the moment. As you can see, the paper decal has been stained to blend with the wood. The decal on my machine was scratched over time by the start and stop levers (because the bedplate wasn't seated correctly in its former home).

I have noticed on youtube videos and in photos online that a number of other mahogany A-250's have this unknown decal in the same location and so it sparked my interest.

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Here is what the paper sticker on the bedplate is supposed to look like:

Dave
Attachments
edison_caution_plate v6.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Discman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:51 pm Here is what the paper sticker on the bedplate is supposed to look like:

Dave
Thank you Dave.

Would this have been on the turntable compartment trim piece? I don't believe it would've been on the motor plate, but I'm all for learning something new.

Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

pg1876 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 pm IMG_4180.jpg

Here is the best photo I have on hand of my machine at the moment. As you can see, the paper decal has been stained to blend with the wood. The decal on my machine was scratched over time by the start and stop levers (because the bedplate wasn't seated correctly in its former home).

I have noticed on youtube videos and in photos online that a number of other mahogany A-250's have this unknown decal in the same location and so it sparked my interest.
Peter, could you supply me with a better photo of the spot you're talking about? One that's better oriented and maybe shows more of the front of the cabinet?

Thanks,
Fran