Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by OrthoSean »

Viva-voce wrote:There are several phonographs shown throughout the excellent HBO TV series "Boardwalk Empire."
Victor and Columbia horn models, and many Victrolas from a VTLA through what is referred to as a "VV-80" but is actually a more elegant model, maybe an XVI or a 120?

An interesting anachronism is the scene in the first season--actually, the first episode, if I remember correctly--where one of the Mob bosses, who is a Caruso fan, is shot and killed from behind at close range in his empty club (with framed autographed Caruso photos on the wall) while listening in rapt ecstasy to his beautiful mahogany machine, with brass flower horn, playing Caruso's 1910 recording of the Siciliana from Cavalleria Rusticana, which, in 1920 when the scene takes place, would have been either a 10" single-faced Victor patents or batwing label record. However, the disc shown spinning on the turntable is a 12" post-war RCA Victor (or HMV?) label record LOL.
An easily remedied anachronism considering the attention paid to period detail in so many other ways.

So the character has a violent demise--but probably painless--and obviously while in a contented moment haha.
Still, what a great and artistic scene it really is.

Additionally, the vintage recordings and newly recreated classic musical arrangements used throughout the series' run did a great service by drawing appreciation for this music from many younger viewers!

Steven
It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

OrthoSean wrote:[quote

It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean
Yes i just watched it again last month. It's imcredibly enjoyable and pulls the viewer right into that era so well.

Steven

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

From the 1972 film “Another Nice Mess...”
Attachments
7484E0B7-F6C9-457F-B798-1F1A565CD5EC.png
72984C43-EE2B-4D80-83EE-D05E76636409.png

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

How about Sammy Davis Jr. eating a chocolate record in Vitaphone's Seasoned Greetings ca. 1933?

The entire film can be seen at this link: https://youtu.be/As_84Cd3T6I

Happy holidays,
Fran
Attachments
Screenshot_20181215-115010_Chrome~2.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:How about Sammy Davis Jr. eating a chocolate record in Vitaphone's Seasoned Greetings ca. 1933?

Happy holidays,
Fran
I just saw that on TCM, Fran! A cute little Vitaphone short featuring a young businesswoman starting a recorded greeting card company (think Greetaphone). Lots of phonographs and recording going on too.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
fran604g wrote:How about Sammy Davis Jr. eating a chocolate record in Vitaphone's Seasoned Greetings ca. 1933?

Happy holidays,
Fran
I just saw that on TCM, Fran! A cute little Vitaphone short featuring a young businesswoman starting a recorded greeting card company (think Greetaphone). Lots of phonographs and recording going on too.

George P.
I tuned in just in time to see him looking at the sign in the shop's front window. That piqued my curiosity, but what made me laugh was when momma caught him coming out and bagan spinning him around...and the music played! :lol:

I have to watch the entire movie through the YouTube link now.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Not a full feature film but I love when the Little Rascals are playing around with a phonograph.
One short in particular had a Columbia BI being pulled around in a wagon. wish I knew the name of it.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Indestructible wrote:Not a full feature film but I love when the Little Rascals are playing around with a phonograph.
One short in particular had a Columbia BI being pulled around in a wagon. wish I knew the name of it.
In THE LUCKY CORNER there's a Victor V with a wood horn : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-K7cEg33g[/youtube]

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

estott wrote:
Indestructible wrote:Not a full feature film but I love when the Little Rascals are playing around with a phonograph.
In THE LUCKY CORNER there's a Victor V with a wood horn : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-K7cEg33g[/youtube]
How cool is that !
Thanks for posting the link, thats just what I'm talking about.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Indestructible wrote:
estott wrote:
How cool is that !
Thanks for posting the link, thats just what I'm talking about.
It looks as if the spear tip horn was broken at the throat and a metal reinforcement was wrapped around it- also making it a bit longer. It must have been about 20 years old.