Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by MikeB »

I've been watching Season 1 of "Boardwalk Empire." There are many fantastic phonographs on the sets, as has been said. What a great show and the set designs are incredible, and pretty historically accurate, I think, for being set in 1920 or so. I took some screenshots.

Big Jim Colosimo gets shot from behind while listening to Caruso on what appears to be a Victor VI. Close your eyes - he gets blood all over the horn.

Mike
Attachments
Boardwalk Empire 1.png
BoardWalk Empire 2.png
Boardwalk Empire 3.png
Boardwalk Empire 4.png

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I'm sure everyone here has seen The Adventures of Picasso, but in case you've forgotten, what I think is an Edison Standard Model B puts in a brief, unaccountable incidental appearance starting at about 14:35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNkhgYuQCsc

Presumably it's actually an empty case. If someone really carried one that way, the handle would quickly rip out of the lid, leaving the machine to fall to the ground and smash.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I haven't looked through the entire thread, but I'm posting these snapshots I pirated off YouTube. Humphrey Bogart in the 1949 movie Tokyo Joe. This a very beautiful phonograph, with what looks to me as a Sonora Wood Tonearm. Unfortunately I couldn't find the prior scene with Bogart first opening the ornate lid. Truly a thing of beauty!

Best regards to all,
Fran
Annotation 2020-04-30 094448.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-30 094307.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-30 094531.jpg
Annotation 2020-04-30 094620.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Post by muzafan »

Monty Python had a external horn machine in the show, I belive it was the same one that appeared in several episodes

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

A couple of nights ago, taking belated advantage of a free month of Showtime, my teen daughter and I watched "The House with a Clock in the Walls." Some sort of open-horned gramophone showed up in the background of one scene, and excitedly I pointed it out to my daughter. Her reply: "Only you would notice that."

I guess she hasn't seen this thread! :lol:

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

A somewhat tatty Orthophonic VV 1-90 table top appears in the 1949 Clark Gable movie "Any Number Can Play" that I watched last night.
Best regards ... AZ*

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

MikeB wrote:I've been watching Season 1 of "Boardwalk Empire." There are many fantastic phonographs on the sets, as has been said. What a great show and the set designs are incredible, and pretty historically accurate, I think, for being set in 1920 or so. I took some screenshots.

Big Jim Colosimo gets shot from behind while listening to Caruso on what appears to be a Victor VI. Close your eyes - he gets blood all over the horn.

Mike
I am about half way through Season 2, and have spotted Edison, Sonora, Victor and Victrola machines so far. All appear correct for the period, but there have been some errors with record labels.
Telefunken did not issue records until 1932, and the National Gramophonic Society, a British subscription only label, issued it's first records in 1925.

Grammofon1904
Victor Jr

Post by Grammofon1904 »

"Pippi långstrump", Sweden 1949. The authoress, A. Lindgren hated that film so much, that she also decided to write the script for future films.
"Ugler i mosen" Norway 1959. Two Girls find this Gramophone at the attic.
Attachments
IMG_20200501_003010.jpg
IMG_20200501_002900.jpg
IMG_20200501_002628.jpg

muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Post by muzafan »

Monty Python „Mr Hilter sketch”
Attachments
C0915D98-1101-482F-94E1-8B96A89F7E61.png

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

At 2:13 in this clip there’s what appears to be a Climax external horn machine? By the way does anybody know where this clip came from? Is it one of those “Passing Parade” newsreel things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77p9Cze_sMI