Orthoponic and orthophonic styles machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
James
Victor I

Orthoponic and orthophonic styles machines

Post by James »

I finally have the big three. Brunswick Panatrope Cortez, Victor's Credenza and Columbia Viva Tonal 810. I wish I have a bigger room where they can stay side by side.
Attachments
Columbia Viv Tonal Model  810 046.JPG
Columbia Viv Tonal Model  810 042.JPG
Victrola Orthophonic Credenza 008.JPG
Victrola Orthophonic Credenza 004.JPG
015.JPG
brunswick panatrope cortes february 7, 2011 015.JPG

Phonoboy
Victor II

Re: Orthoponic and orthophonic styles machines

Post by Phonoboy »

Beautiful.
This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender-Pete Seeger.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

waiting for the verdict...

tuberecuds
Victor Jr

Post by tuberecuds »

Orthophonic Credenzas are legendary amongst machines, (for the most part) due to their bass response. That being said, to my non-trained ear, the Viva-Tonal has a slight edge over the Panatrope (which isn't chopped liver, either). Just thinking out loud.
Like what YOU like, but grab a great recud and give it a spin on each, one right after the other in rapid succession so you can judge.
Just as with a piano, room placement and whether or not the machine sits on carpeting are contributing factors. Make sure that the recud is a quality brand and a favorite so that you know it's nuances.
Stephen

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

James, we think alike! I also have the big three! I'm going to put them side by side in my living room and make a video of the battle of the orthophonic era machines! Marc.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

marcapra wrote:James, we think alike! I also have the big three! I'm going to put them side by side in my living room and make a video of the battle of the orthophonic era machines! Marc.
I've taken a slightly different approach: a face-off. On one side of the room, my rather battered Orthophonic Credenza and my Victor V (oak speartip horn). Facing them from the other, Edisonic Schubert and Edison Triumph with cygnet horn (alas, 10-panel, not the more appropriate 11, but that's what I got with it). I like to think of them as opposing armies girding for battle. Outlying skirmishers elsewhere in the room: Edison C-250 with long-play gearing; Pathé/Diamond Diffusor; and, on a high shelf primarily for display, Columbia AH and Victor Monarch Junior front-mounts and a Pathé no. 0 cylinder machine. Each of those has its own animal: the Monarch Jr. a Nipper, the Pathé a ceramic rooster, and the Columbia a big, wooden cat figure (thumbing its nose at Nipper, natch!).

Phonoboy
Victor II

Post by Phonoboy »

drh wrote:
marcapra wrote:James, we think alike! I also have the big three! I'm going to put them side by side in my living room and make a video of the battle of the orthophonic era machines! Marc.
I've taken a slightly different approach: a face-off. On one side of the room, my rather battered Orthophonic Credenza and my Victor V (oak speartip horn). Facing them from the other, Edisonic Schubert and Edison Triumph with cygnet horn (alas, 10-panel, not the more appropriate 11, but that's what I got with it). I like to think of them as opposing armies girding for battle. Outlying skirmishers elsewhere in the room: Edison C-250 with long-play gearing; Pathé/Diamond Diffusor; and, on a high shelf primarily for display, Columbia AH and Victor Monarch Junior front-mounts and a Pathé no. 0 cylinder machine. Each of those has its own animal: the Monarch Jr. a Nipper, the Pathé a ceramic rooster, and the Columbia a big, wooden cat figure (thumbing its nose at Nipper, natch!).
Dear god; How do you not trip over your collection. Sounds nice though, we should all be so lucky!
This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender-Pete Seeger.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Phonoboy wrote:
drh wrote:
Dear god; How do you not trip over your collection. Sounds nice though, we should all be so lucky!
Well, my wife does keep mumbling things about "we have too many machines in there...." But she's been very understanding and often even encouraging, so I guess "lucky" really is the right word! :clover:

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Big three is certainly an accurate description. I recently acquired both the Brunswick and Columbia. The Viva Tonal needs some work, a broken spring, and someone swapped the gold for a nickel tonearm. Otherwise all are in decent shape..
P1010006 (2).JPG
please excuse all the 'clutter' on top, I was too lazy to move them...
P1010008 (2).JPG
P1010009.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Steve, your machines are to die for. Very nice display.