Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 121 - Edison Amberola IV

Post by gramophone78 »

As a A&C collector...I love it!!!. Thanks for showing it Bruce.... :mrgreen:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
VintageTechnologies wrote:A bird so rare that I have never seen color photos of one until now.
Ouch! Now that hurts...! ;)

In The Talking Machine Compendium, two color images of an Amberola IV (serial No.2) are shown on pages 184 and 185. In Phonographs with Flair, an Amberola IV is given a full-page layout with three color images shown on page 30.

You cut me to the quick... :cry:

George P.
I was just going to comment on that but George beat me to it. If I recall correctly the books show pictures of both Sn. 2 & then 3.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Very nice Edison machine!!

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

phonogfp wrote:
VintageTechnologies wrote:A bird so rare that I have never seen color photos of one until now.
Ouch! Now that hurts...! ;)

In The Talking Machine Compendium, two color images of an Amberola IV (serial No.2) are shown on pages 184 and 185. In Phonographs with Flair, an Amberola IV is given a full-page layout with three color images shown on page 30.

You cut me to the quick... :cry:

George P.
If I have that particular book in my library, then I apologize. :oops: Perhaps I overlooked it. :mrgreen:

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi Bruce,
Beautiful looking machine and I bet it sounds as good as it looks! I think the guys that constructed and grained the horn had their work cut out for them!
Allen

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

VintageTechnologies wrote: If I have that particular book in my library, then I apologize. :oops: Perhaps I overlooked it. :mrgreen:
Aw, that's okay. I'm accustomed to the rejection...

[Just kidding around and all in good fun. :) ]

George P.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Quite a beautiful machine. The cabinet would look great in any Frank Lloyd Wright home. I can't imagine why so few were built. Congratulations on purchasing a fine and valuable treasure. :mrgreen:
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, for a company that went all-out for "Period Cabinets" in its Disc Phonograph line, it didn't seem much concerned about the appearance of its cylinder line after 1914. I realize that the cylinder trade had fallen off, and most cylinder products were selling in rural districts to people of modest means. Still, I don't believe that the Amberola IV cabinet could have been much more expensive than the Amberola 75 cabinet. And for those who might argue that the open-leg designs without record storage cabinets were not well received, remember that the A-100 Disc Phonograph was introduced in 1915. I know Frow cites dealer discontent with those open-leg designs, but there are an awful lot of A-100s kicking around. :)

How about a slightly scaled-down Amberola IV cabinet designed to house the Amberola 75 mechanism? Wouldn't that have been a sweetheart?

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

This is nothing less than a fabulous machine! I've only personally seen the two at Union over the last ten years or so. What a great addition to your collection. Also, it's a great example of how the Edison company utilized obsolete parts while introducing new models.

Jerry Blais :mrgreen:

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Wow. So nice. I've wanted a IV since I fist saw a picture of one many years ago. It's a real beauty. Congratulations.

Martin