Edisonic and Long Playing Consoles Survey

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edisonic and Long Playing Consoles Survey

Post by marcapra »

Did you want parts machines included in this survey? I just bought a Beethoven cabinet that has been gutted of the horn and motor and mechanism.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote:Did you want parts machines included in this survey? I just bought a Beethoven cabinet that has been gutted of the horn and motor and mechanism.
Hi Marc,

Unless there's a data plate intact, I don't see how it would be relevant. Unfortunately.

Thank you,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Here is the info on the Edisonic Beethoven I recently rescued from Louisville, KY.

1) What is the model? Beethoven(BN)

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "1712"

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? "NO"

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? "Gold"

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? "Regular"

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? "NO"

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? "NO"

8) Are there any other special attachments present: "No"

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? Dealer ID Plate on the back under the Edisonic Decal. "The Kay Graham Co. Music Shop 819 Gatlin Street. Portsmouth, Ohio
10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? "NO"

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

colmike1 wrote:Here is the info on the Edisonic Beethoven I recently rescued from Louisville, KY.

1) What is the model? Beethoven(BN)

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "1712"

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? "NO"

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? "Gold"

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? "Regular"

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? "NO"

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? "NO"

8) Are there any other special attachments present: "No"

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? Dealer ID Plate on the back under the Edisonic Decal. "The Kay Graham Co. Music Shop 819 Gatlin Street. Portsmouth, Ohio
10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? "NO"
Thank you very much! I'll add your Beethoven to my spreadsheet.

Happy Holidays,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Fran,

Per your request:

1) What is the model? Long Playing console: 2-C,

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "3095"

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? "Gun-metal"

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? "Edisonic", "LP", and "78 Adapter (Riophonic brand, deteriorating)"

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? "N/A"

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? "YES"

8) Are there any other special attachments present: YES, double reproducer holder

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? YES; a booklet titled "Operation and Care for the Edison Phonograph" and a catalog book titled "Edison Records for Music That Lives", and a packing list

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? 18

Adolfo
Last edited by apruizii on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

apruizii wrote:Fran,

Per your request:

1) What is the model? Long Playing console: 2-C,

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "3095"

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? "Gun-metal"

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? "Edisonic", "LP", and "78 Adapter (Riophonic brand, deteriorating)"

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? "N/A"

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? "YES"

8) Are there any other special attachments present: YES, double reproducer holder

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? YES; Operation and Care for the Edison Phonograph booklet, and packing list

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? 18

Adolfo
Thank you very much Adolfo, for your 2-C information; I've added it to my spreadsheet.

I see yours came with a packing list. Would you be kind enough to add a picture/scan of the entire document to this post? I've never seen one for a Long Playing Console.

I also wonder if the booklet is the standard version that was supplied to cover all various Diamond Disc Phonographs, or if it is particular to only the Long Playing Phonos?

Thank you,
Fran

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

An Edisonic Schubert has shown up on eBay, to be in a live auction three days hence. One photo shows the ID plate, which gives the serial number as 3155. It has the Edisonic reproducer. No photo of the motor or motor compartment or horn. Orange felt on the turntable; the photo of the bedplate is not very good but shows no controls other than the expected start/stop lever set and the cuing lever. Lid appears to be somewhat warped; looks like the original finish in pretty lackluster condition. I don't *think* that one is already in the database.

Here's a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Edisoni ... SwXMtanqjJ

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote:An Edisonic Schubert has shown up on eBay, to be in a live auction three days hence. One photo shows the ID plate, which gives the serial number as 3155. It has the Edisonic reproducer. No photo of the motor or motor compartment or horn. Orange felt on the turntable; the photo of the bedplate is not very good but shows no controls other than the expected start/stop lever set and the cuing lever. Lid appears to be somewhat warped; looks like the original finish in pretty lackluster condition. I don't *think* that one is already in the database.

Here's a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Edisoni ... SwXMtanqjJ
Thank you, David. It's one I haven't recorded, yet. Into the database she goes! :)

Best,
Fran

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

fran604g wrote:
drh wrote:An Edisonic Schubert has shown up on eBay, to be in a live auction three days hence. One photo shows the ID plate, which gives the serial number as 3155. It has the Edisonic reproducer. No photo of the motor or motor compartment or horn. Orange felt on the turntable; the photo of the bedplate is not very good but shows no controls other than the expected start/stop lever set and the cuing lever. Lid appears to be somewhat warped; looks like the original finish in pretty lackluster condition. I don't *think* that one is already in the database.

Thank you, David. It's one I haven't recorded, yet. Into the database she goes! :)

Best,
Fran
Hey All --

One of these weekends I'll post this to my "Edisonic Inventory" thread as it came with photos (I've copied them). Will also incorporate other serial numbers that have appeared since the end of 2016 in Fran's thread.

I'm largely a lurker now, but occasionally pop my head above surface. Another black hole now commands my interests and resources... 8-)

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I found a 2-C Long Play Console on Craigslist this week. Mechanically excellent, it was, unfortunately, in a very wrecked cabinet. The whole top had turned various shades of white as if it had gotten water damaged, with amateurish repairs attempted afterward. Therefore, this is to report info on a scrapped machine. The mechanics were removed in one piece. I intend to keep them that way and simply reinstall them, as is, in another cabinet.

1) What is the model? Long Playing console: 2-C

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? 851

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? NO

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? Gun-metal

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? Edisonic ("Square" weight style), LP

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? (Yes)

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? YES

8) Are there any other special attachments present: Double reproducer holder

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? NO

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? No sticker present.