Re: Edisonic and Long Playing Consoles Survey

Post by chewy »

SCHUBERT/EDISON MUSEUM, NEW JERSEY: Serial no. 2767, no known provance

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

chewy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:57 pm SCHUBERT/EDISON MUSEUM, NEW JERSEY: Serial no. 2767, no known provance
Thank you, but without the information relevant to this survey, I cannot use your contribution. My research requires a more comprehensive examination of the unit that provides very specific information. However, Mindy's "Inventory" would be well served by your contribution.

Best regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

i put it there too!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I'd like to find an Edison Long Play 1-C model. I like consoles with dual grilles like my English 18th cent. Adam C-450, and my Italian Umbrian IU-19.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

marcapra wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:25 am I'd like to find an Edison Long Play 1-C model. I like consoles with dual grilles like my English 18th cent. Adam C-450, and my Italian Umbrian IU-19.
I have to say I'm quite fond of my 1-C. If ever I should decide to sell her and drive out to the west coast... :D
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

marcapra wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:25 am I'd like to find an Edison Long Play 1-C model. I like consoles with dual grilles like my English 18th cent. Adam C-450, and my Italian Umbrian IU-19.
Mark, you're the man. Not too many antique phono collectors prefer the space-eating console models. Glad someone's giving them a home. Seriously. You probably also leave food out for the feral cats. :rose: :rose:
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I'm refinishing three of them right now. A 1,2 and 3 and they are all quite large. Edison must have gotten a lot of piano varnish cheap as they sure slathered it on them. When I get them a little further along and it's not raining out, I'll post some pictures on a separate thread. The cabinets are nicely made, I will give them that. They sure were finished dark. They couldn't have been quite that dark when they were new,or there would have been no reason to bother with using nice mahogany up in them. One other thing is, I wonder if the reason some of them are in a satin finish is because they ran out of the piano varnish they used on the earlier one's and went to lacquer? The spray lacquers in the 20's did not dry glossy and that explain the difference. All of these things I've seen are very glossy where the finish isn't exposed to the atmosphere. The finish is different on the Edisonic machines I've seen, but it's still very dark but not like on the earlier machines and they also were kind of doing that two-tone finish on the doors which they wouldn't have been able to do easily with a brushed on finish. I've refinished a couple of Edisonic machines, but I didn't give that much thought to what I was washing off, but I don't remember thinking it was thick like these three long play machines have on them. Edison even put a couple of coats of finish on the bottoms of these three cabinets which is something I've NEVER seen on a Victrola.... Good luck with your survey now, and I'll send you the information on these machines when I get them back together. Earl

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you for your observations, Earl, and best of luck with your projects. I look forward to seeing your results.

How will you approach the grille cloths? Are you lucky enough that they're still intact?

Best,
Fran

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I think I'll just get some of the thin reproduction radio grille cloth and see how well it take dye. Some of the patterns are fairly innocuous and if they weren't so "gold" they will look ok. I've seen nothing that looks like the stuff Edison was using, but there are some of the radio patterns that are closer to what was used in the Edisonic machines. I think the original stuff was Rayon, but I haven't burned a piece to know for sure.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Rayon? That's really interesting, as I've always seen silk referenced (and had assumed) as the material used for many phonograph grilles. Hmmm, I learn something new everyday!

I'd love to learn more about the use of Rayon in the industry.

Cheers,
Fran