Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Post by Starkton »

gramophoneshane wrote:I've seen 2 or 3 different Excelsior machines, but the "pearl" wasn't one of them. I think this is the first Excelsior I've seen with 2/4 min gearing.
The other models I've seen were all loosely based on Columbia models. They have all been painted black, with red & gold pinstripes, and have had the EWC decal instead of the name Excelsior.
I'm guessing the Gloria was probably designed after a Columbia too, but wonder if it played Concert cylinders only or had a inter-changable mandrel for Standards as well?
Excelsior Phonographs, manufactured by Philipp Richard, Fabrik für Erzeugnisse der Feinmechanik, Cologne, were first offered at the Leipzig Autumn Fair in August 1899. The early, more expensive models are very rare today. Frequently seen are the small machines, indeed similar to Columbia's Type Q. I believe that the EWC decal was introduced in 1901.

The "Gloria" had a rather unique design - especially the bedplate, protected by utility patent in September 1900. The mandrel wasn't interchangeable. I only have a drawing of it.

From 1907/08 „Excelsiorwerk“, Fabrik für Feinmechanik, G.m.b.H. (designation since late 1899), exported a renamed model range to England: The "Pearl", the "Ruby" and the "Diamond."

I will post a few scans later.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Here's my lone brown wax and it's a late one. The only thing is it's got all it's goodies: box, record slip, cotton wrapping and lid. It's mint. It's also cracked but ya can't have everything. I've played part of it once...and it sounded pretty good, but as you can see it's late: it has to be 1901 I would guess. Anyone know ?
7805 was recorded in New York, March 1901 according to the Truesound online discography.
Is there a form number & date on the top edge of the label above Edison's picture?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Nice records around here!!

I have really never counted my brown wax (I should do thing by the weekend), but here's the earliest cylinder in my collection which is a Columbia Washington, DC. While speaking of Glenn Sage, he was very kind with helping me to identify this cylinder and even give an unbelievably exact release date which was January 1895.

The vast majority of these cylinders were delivered in blank boxes. This box is an exception where a dealer had applied a label. I am very happy that it is not only in wonderful condition but still has its original box, lid, cotton wadding, and the rare title slip.

I once did a quick research and found that Mr. Foster was quite very active in the phonograph business. 1-2 later he moved to a different street address in Providence, and by 1897 he made a business trip to New York City were he stayed at the Manhattan Hotel which still exists today. By 1911 he sold Edison Phonographs, likely because Columbia would stop their cylinder production. In the 20's he even operated a radio station.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Here are they are....These are all of my Americn records. Next i will picture all of my European Brown Wax. All of the cylinders can be heard on youtube. My name is Newtonlakephonos

Aaron
Attachments
And another slip from a cylinder i shaved....
And another slip from a cylinder i shaved....
MVC-007S.JPG (35.63 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Here is a record slip from a record i shaved...this still bothers me....
Here is a record slip from a record i shaved...this still bothers me....
MVC-006S.JPG (38.42 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Home Recording #4
Home Recording #4
MVC-023S.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Home REcording #3
Home REcording #3
MVC-024S.JPG (39.36 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Home Recording #2
Home Recording #2
MVC-025S.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Heres 1 of 4 home Recordings i have yet to paly as a few have cracks
Heres 1 of 4 home Recordings i have yet to paly as a few have cracks
MVC-026S.JPG (38.12 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Here are 2 that i THIMK are Brown Wax. They are even in very early boxes that have the labels pasted over Edison labels.
Here are 2 that i THIMK are Brown Wax. They are even in very early boxes that have the labels pasted over Edison labels.
MVC-029S.JPG (36.93 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Heres: The Camp Meeting Jubilee
Heres: The Camp Meeting Jubilee
MVC-028S.JPG (38.66 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Heres: The Lords Prayer and Gloria Patria
Heres: The Lords Prayer and Gloria Patria
MVC-027S.JPG (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1422 times

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

A great variety, Aaron! I always especially enjoy the records with the title slip which is always great.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Fascinating thread! I have no brown wax cylinders, as the prices for them on Ebay are absolutely prohibitive--usually starting at $50 per cylinder and going through the roof. However, they are quite fascinating and magical, as they are the earliest commercial records and offer a glimpse into another century.

:squirrel:

Rocky

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I forgot I had these Pathés. I have no idea when they date from, but the title info is hand written & they are numbered 8757 & 8092. I dont think the cylinders are original to these boxes though, as the boxes are stamped on the bottom 7184 & 7550. An Edison label has been added the lid of the second box too.
Attachments
pathe bw 001.JPG
pathe bw 002.JPG

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Heres the 1st of my European Brown Wax cylinders. This is titled "o'Salutaris" Im not sure what it means, but heres the cylinder!!

Aaron
Attachments
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG (55.5 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Heres the next one.
Attachments
Le Sabre De Colonel
Le Sabre De Colonel