La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Post by MordEth »

Paal,

Thank you for sharing these (wonderfully high resolution) photos of La Phonogalerie. With your permission, there were a few that I think would be interesting to cut out or crop/frame as avatars (and with the cut out images, as transparencies)—I’d be interested in playing with them when I have time to devote to that, if you don’t mind.

(In the past, I’ve credited the member whose generous image donations were used by adding ‘-username’ to the end of the files, so expect to be credited. You might be interested in noting that your avatar is ‘edison_shadow_by_typeq.png’, which was created by our very talented WDC, back on our previous home, before he changed user name from ‘TypeQ’.)

One of these days, I’d like to get to visit Paris...

...and you guys are busy, this morning (in my time zone)—I cannot even finish a reply without you adding two more replies to the thread (seeing them as I click ‘preview’ on what I have written). :D

Thanks again!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

David,

Thank you for the compliments on the photographs.
And if you want to use the photos as avatars you have my full permission.
If you want more pictures from La Phonogalerie, I can send them to you or post them here.

‘edison_shadow_by_typeq.png’ is a great avatar.
I didn't knew it was Norman who made it!

Paal.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

USlakeside wrote:Nice pictures. I was in contact with these folks because I was curious what was for sale. Any feedback on the store?
Jalal (the owner)is a nice guy, and always has very nice stuff, not the cheapest, but very nice. I have not visited the store but have seen alot of the things he bring's to the Rüdesheim show.
MordEth wrote:Paal,...and you guys are busy, this morning (in my time zone)—I cannot even finish a reply without you adding two more replies to the thread (seeing them as I click ‘preview’ on what I have written). :D

Thanks again!

— MordEth

David, That's because many of us are back from either energized from the Union Illinois show or in Paal's case, his pilgrimage to the Phonogalerie and we have lot's to talk about! :D
Last edited by Valecnik on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Paal1994 wrote:Thank you for the compliments on the photographs.
And if you want to use the photos as avatars you have my full permission.
If you want more pictures from La Phonogalerie, I can send them to you or post them here.
Paal,

You’re very welcome. Please post them in the thread—I know other people would love to see them (I was telling John about them last night on the phone and hopefully we will have him back with us very soon—he’s excited about content that he wants to add on which he’s been busy of late). I’ve already bookmarked the thread as a reminder to myself to do something with the images (since I have your permission). :D
Paal1994 wrote:‘edison_shadow_by_typeq.png’ is a great avatar.
I didn't knew it was Norman who made it!
I agree wholeheartedly—it’s one of my favorites, and I wish that I could take credit for it. Norman is quite talented and submitted many of our initial set of avatars (and the majority of the cylinder avatars.) If you are using Firefox, Opera or Safari (and I assume—but have not tested—Google’s Chrome—which is based on Apple’s WebKit, the rendering engine used by Safari), you can hover any of the avatars in the stock avatar gallery to see their file names as a tooltip. (This may also work in Internet Explorer—again, I have not tested it, although if you are using IE, you really should get a better browser; IE is the most prevalent vector of attack against windows—it’s inherently insecure and unsafe to use, as well as being an inferior browser.)

If the avatar was made by another member, it will be named ‘____ by user name’; if the source image was provided by another member, it will be named ‘____-user name’.

Many of the record labels which I made into avatars were provided by our members (and were not scanned from John’s collection (primarily for YouTube) by me.

I cannot thank everyone enough for all of their contributions; we have a huge avatar collection because of them. :D
Valecnik wrote:That's because many of us are back from either energized from the Union Illinois show or in Paal's case, his pilgrimage to the Phonogalerie and we have lot's to talk about! :D
Bruce,

I’ve noticed, and you guys give me a lot to catch up with when I’m not working on location (although I often read the forum from my iPhone while on break or during my commute). I still have quite a few replies that I want to write. :D

And unless Marcel also attended the Union show, I think that you may have the honor of being the member with the longest trip to that show...I don’t envy you all the time you spent on an airplane for it. :D

My trip to San Francisco (when we migrated to our new home here) was far too long a flight for my tastes, although I was able to share quite a lot of train photos as a result of it. :lol:

8,642 posts later, I’m very proud of what everyone here has helped us accomplish so far, and look forward to many posts to come on The Talking Machine Forum. I know that I’ve said this many times, but it really is our members that make this forum the venue for phonograph discussion that it is.

Feel free to pester me to work on more features and content as I have time (or with any questions or requests for technical support). :D

Your friendly internet daemon,

MordEth
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Here are more photos from La Phonogalerie:
Attachments
Paris 2009 050.JPG
Paris 2009 049.JPG
Paris 2009 047.JPG
Paris 2009 046.JPG
Paris 2009 045.JPG
Paris 2009 044.JPG
Paris 2009 043.JPG
Paris 2009 034.JPG
Paris 2009 037.JPG
Paris 2009 036.JPG

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Attachments
Paris 2009 064.JPG
Paris 2009 068.JPG
Paris 2009 066.JPG
Paris 2009 062.JPG
Paris 2009 061.JPG
Paris 2009 057.JPG
Paris 2009 056.JPG
Paris 2009 054.JPG
Paris 2009 053.JPG
Paris 2009 051.JPG

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Oh yes!! Superb pictures & what seems to be a pure paradise.
I just love the mixture of common tabletops, ultra-rare novelty & high-end machines. I must go there!
Searching for The Sound

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Paal,

Thanks for posting the additional pictures—you definitely took some very nice photos. It certainly seems that they cram quite a lot of phonographs in their thousand square feet of space.

How crowded is the interior?

— MordEth

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

MordEth wrote:Paal,

Thanks for posting the additional pictures—you definitely took some very nice photos. It certainly seems that they cram quite a lot of phonographs in their thousand square feet of space.

How crowded is the interior?

— MordEth

Yes, they certainly have a lot of phonograph in such little space. There is a stair down in the basement of the building and I asked him what was there. He said it was nothing yet, but he said he planned something about demonstrating machines down there. I can't remember his exact words, but I think this is what he intended the basement for.

Paal

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Great pics!

In the first set there is an HMV that looks like it has some sort of changer or reflector? Any word on what that is?

...and those Klingor whatever stringed phonographs... is the idea that the sound created vibrates the appropriate sounding string for a fuller sound?

I love any round cabinet phonograph...

...and in the second batch I like the phonograph with the different lid design, how just the very top opens instead of the whole curved portion.

Looks like a great trip, thanks for taking the time to post.