La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

Re: La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Post by Paal1994 »

phonophan79 wrote:Great pics!

In the first set there is an HMV that looks like it has some sort of changer or reflector? Any word on what that is?

...and those Klingor whatever stringed phonographs... is the idea that the sound created vibrates the appropriate sounding string for a fuller sound?

I love any round cabinet phonograph...

...and in the second batch I like the phonograph with the different lid design, how just the very top opens instead of the whole curved portion.

Looks like a great trip, thanks for taking the time to post.
That thing on the HMV is a large pleated diaphragm which is used instead of a horn. It wasn't very successful and if my memory serves me right, they withdrew these types of machines after a year or so.

Regarding the Klingsor I'm not sure what kind of function these strings have. It's either what you said, or a try to combine a harp and a phonograph :lol:

I also love the round cabinet. My father said it looked like a toilet. And the cabinet where you just open the top of the lid is also quite interesting.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos!

Paal.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Greetings Paal!

Let me say this about your excellent photos: thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I'm one of those strange people that really does NOT like to fly, so in all likelihood I will never venture to Paris to see this wonderful establishment. Well, if I went by ocean liner---maybe. But beyond this, I had most recently been in a rather "down" state about collecting this stuff in general. Sometimes it takes something like your excellent photos to give a person a kind of spiritual "reboot" and get the interest and enthusiasm flowing again. I may never own some of the great rare machines that we see at La Phonogalerie, but I can take pleasure in what I have found over the years, as the collection continues to entertain me and keeps me interested in learning more.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Kirkwood wrote:Greetings Paal!

I'm one of those strange people that really does NOT like to fly, so in all likelihood I will never venture to Paris to see this wonderful establishment. Well, if I went by ocean liner---maybe. But beyond this, I had most recently been in a rather "down" state about collecting this stuff in general. Sometimes it takes something like your excellent photos to give a person a kind of spiritual "reboot" and get the interest and enthusiasm flowing again. I may never own some of the great rare machines that we see at La Phonogalerie, but I can take pleasure in what I have found over the years, as the collection continues to entertain me and keeps me interested in learning more.
Hi,

You're welcome!
I should imagine travelling by ocean liner would be more comfortable. At least you'll have better food and better room for your legs :lol:
I hope my photos gave you a "reboot". I will also never own some of those rare machines on La Phonogalerie, but I find regular machines just as interesting as the rare ones. As long as it keeps me entertained, I'm happy.
I mean, who needs television when you have a phonograph that can entertain you? It's always fun to listen to a phonograph, it's never boring. On television we have 30 channels, and there is never anything to watch...

Paal.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

These images were great. Thanks!

Its great to see machines next to other machines because its often difficult to determine scale without knowing a machine personally. I always enjoy seeing photographs of collections for this reason.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Paal, thank also for these great pictures, and glad that you like the Edison avatar. It's from a 1929 record advertisement. I've never found the time for a trip to Paris except for a transit stop at Charles de Gaulle airport which was about 10 times worse than any other including Heathrow.
I know Jalal Aro also from the Rüdesheim show but this show is currently about to die. The poeple who 'organize' this show are basically just collecting the money from the dealers without ANY further support.

For example, they would let in everybody at the very same time. The dealers would not be allowed to get into the hall earlier. This is just one of several incidents which occured recently. As a result, many dealers did not show up last time or just came there to buy instead of selling. Hopefully, someone else will step in to start competitive show. There are only some very small phono-related shows which have no competitive capacity by now. Hopefully, someone else will step in to start competitive show. It's no fun anymore with these people. :(

Btw. there is a nice collection of additional Phonogalerie pictures at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonogalerie/

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

WDC wrote:Paal, thank also for these great pictures, and glad that you like the Edison avatar. It's from a 1929 record advertisement. I've never found the time for a trip to Paris except for a transit stop at Charles de Gaulle airport which was about 10 times worse than any other including Heathrow.
I know Jalal Aro also from the Rüdesheim show but this show is currently about to die. The poeple who 'organize' this show are basically just collecting the money from the dealers without ANY further support.

For example, they would let in everybody at the very same time. The dealers would not be allowed to get into the hall earlier. This is just one of several incidents which occured recently. As a result, many dealers did not show up last time or just came there to buy instead of selling. Hopefully, someone else will step in to start competitive show. There are only some very small phono-related shows which have no competitive capacity by now. Hopefully, someone else will step in to start competitive show. It's no fun anymore with these people. :(

Btw. there is a nice collection of additional Phonogalerie pictures at Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonogalerie/
Norman,

Charles de Gaulle airport is the worst airport I have been to. Everything looks like the 1970s!
I really hope the Rüdesheim show will survive with better people to organize it. The things you describe here seems like very silly ideas from these people. I also hope that someone will start a competitive show...
Thanks for the link to those other La Phonogalerie photos!

Paal.

Ben

Post by Ben »

It’s a really nice shop with very interesting machines, BUT... in my opinion the machines are too expensive and sometimes too nice repolished...

But... when in Paris, as collector you must visit this shop ;)

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

Paal----
Paal1994 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:Greetings Paal!

Hi,

You're welcome!
I should imagine travelling by ocean liner would be more comfortable. At least you'll have better food and better room for your legs :lol:
I hope my photos gave you a "reboot". I will also never own some of those rare machines on La Phonogalerie, but I find regular machines just as interesting as the rare ones. As long as it keeps me entertained, I'm happy.
I mean, who needs television when you have a phonograph that can entertain you? It's always fun to listen to a phonograph, it's never boring. On television we have 30 channels, and there is never anything to watch...

Paal.
Paal----I totally agree with you. I have a cable system with over 200 programming choices. I would have to quit work to watch them all, only to find out that there is not much to offer anyway. Now, if I could only find a way to have a remote control for my phonos .......
Michael