La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Post by Paal1994 »

From June 22 to June 25 I visited Paris. We saw all the famous sights including the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc.

But there was one place I liked especially, La Phonogalerie. I would describe it as the Louvre of phonographs. All types of phonographs, even Concert and an Edison C-4 Radio Phonograph!

They also had a store where they sold dics and cylinders.
I bought some cylinders including Special Blue Amberol G "I'm looking for a sweetheart and I think you'll do" by Ada Jones & Billy Murray, and Special H "Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!" by Byron G. Harlan & Frank C. Stanley.

It was a very enjoyable visit. And the web site is http://www.phonogalerie.com

Scroll down to see some of the photos from the gallery.

Paal.
Attachments
Paris 2009 056.jpg
Paris 2009 053.jpg
Paris 2009 048.jpg
Paris 2009 042.jpg
Paris 2009 041.jpg
Paris 2009 040.jpg
Paris 2009 039.jpg
Paris 2009 038.jpg
Paris 2009 035.jpg
Paris 2009 033.jpg

USlakeside
Victor III

Re: La Phonogalerie in Paris, France

Post by USlakeside »

Nice pictures. I was in contact with these folks because I was curious what was for sale. Any feedback on the store?

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I have soo longed to visit there....

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

USlakeside wrote:Nice pictures. I was in contact with these folks because I was curious what was for sale. Any feedback on the store?
Well, the service is very good and the records are all in good condition, at least those I looked over was clean, so I guess all of them are. The gentleman who owns this gallery was very kind to play through the records I bought on the Archeophone.
But the cylinder was "European prices" so I didn't get too many. I guess the discs are cheaper.
Aaron wrote:I have soo longed to visit there....
Aaron,

If you get to Paris, it's well worth a visit.
And unlike the Eiffel Tower, there is not many people there, and I like it that way when you don't have to stay in line for everything.

Paal.

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

Aaron---You are teaching me quite a bit, to let me know I am drastically out of touch. When I was 15 years old, the only places I so "longed for" was the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, the Playboy mansion and my 18th birthday to be on my own!---- Paal thanks for the pictures. My wife and I are going to Nice for her nephews wedding in September, and will try to see your pictures in person, if time and logistics allow. What hotel did you stay in? Michael

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

bostonmike1 wrote:
Aaron---You are teaching me quite a bit, to let me know I am drastically out of touch. When I was 15 years old, the only places I so "longed for" was the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, the Playboy mansion and my 18th birthday to be on my own!---- Paal thanks for the pictures. My wife and I are going to Nice for her nephews wedding in September, and will try to see your pictures in person, if time and logistics allow. What hotel did you stay in? Michael
Paal, I'm jealous. I've not visited Phonogalerie yet although I know the owner, Jalal Aro. He always brings some real nice stuff to the Rüdesheim show.

Mike, Diplomatically suggest to your wife that she request's her nephew to move the wedding closer to the end of October. :lol: Then you could take in the wedding, Phonogalerie in Paris and the Rudeheim phono show all in one trip. I'm sure the nephew would understand.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Coincidence. We just had a young Frenchman and his family in our shop on Tuesday. He was fascinated by the phonographs and I suggested he visit Phonogalerie when he returns to France (in three years -- his wife is working here for a while!) I also showed him Daniel Marty's book (my copy in French). Lauri speaks fluent French, so communication was excellent.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

bostonmike1 wrote: Paal thanks for the pictures. My wife and I are going to Nice for her nephews wedding in September, and will try to see your pictures in person, if time and logistics allow. What hotel did you stay in? Michael
Michael,

We stayed in Hotel Amarante Arc de Triomphe in 25 rue Théodore de Banville.
I hope you manage to visit La Phonogalerie :)
Valecnik wrote:Paal, I'm jealous. I've not visited Phonogalerie yet although I know the owner, Jalal Aro. He always brings some real nice stuff to the Rüdesheim show.
Bruce,

On what dates is the Rüdesheim show?

Paal.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Paal,

I'm guessing the Rüdesheim show might be 30 and 31 October. I've not seen anything about it yet. For some additional info see this posting where the April show was discussed.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ried#p2768

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Valecnik wrote:Paal,

I'm guessing the Rüdesheim show might be 30 and 31 October. I've not seen anything about it yet. For some additional info see this posting where the April show was discussed.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ried#p2768
Bruce,

Thank you!
I think I'll have to persuade my parents to go there :)

Paal.