Today I took my Amberola out in the sun.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

Today I took my Amberola out in the sun.

Post by Paal1994 »

Today I did what many probably have done before me.
It was 25 degrees celsius here in Kristiansand today, so I decided that I would take the Amberola out on the porch and I sat there for almost 3 hours just listening to cylinders.
And never have my Amberola sounded so good.

It was absolutely amazing! It sounded much better when I moved it from my bedroom to the living room. But how it sounded outside there is only one word: WOW!

There was a slight wind outside and it almost looked like the sunshade was dancing to "Dumbell" by the Broadway Dance Orchestra.
I'm definitely going to do this more than one time this summer!

Paal.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Today I took my Amberola out in the sun.

Post by gramophoneshane »

I did the same thing last night. I stayed at a friends house because his neighbours were having a garage sale (yard sale) this morning, and I wanted to be first in the door.
It was pouring with rain for the 2 hours I was out there, but this morning the neighbours commented that they heard me playing my "phonogram".
I didn't think they'd hear it over the heavy rain, but obviously the little horn in the 30's are pretty powerful in the open air. I had the machine in the corner of a huge concrete L-shaped veranda, so I guess that helped amplify the sound.
The house is on a cliff, 2 streets away from the bay, so it wouldn't surprise me if on a clear quiet night, you'd be able to hear it down at the waters edge.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

gramophoneshane wrote:I didn't think they'd hear it over the heavy rain, but obviously the little horn in the 30's are pretty powerful in the open air.

The house is on a cliff, 2 streets away from the bay, so it wouldn't surprise me if on a clear quiet night, you'd be able to hear it down at the waters edge.
Shane,

Indeed, the little horns are powerful outside. Especially when you play directly recorded BA's.
It wouldn't surprise me either if they could hear it on the waters edge in the bay!

Paal.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

My new iPhone 3GS came a couple of days ago and I love having video at my fingertips! Paal's thread inspired me to make a video outside -- "in the sun" -- and post it to youtube . . . the first time I have ever done this! Hope you all enjoy the video . . . sorry about the pack of Harleys at the very end. We get a lot of those loud damned things through here and they are the bane of my existence when I'm trying to play records!

The cylinder is 'Rap! Rap! Rap! On Your Minstrel Bones' by Ed Meeker on BA #1576.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RTB9M4DE4[/youtube]

John M
Last edited by JohnM on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Paal1994 wrote:It was 25 degrees celsius here in Kristiansand today, so I decided that I would take the Amberola out on the porch and I sat there for almost 3 hours just listening to cylinders. And never have my Amberola sounded so good.
Interesting to hear all of you comment on the outdoor sound. I have never done that.

Did you get any people passing by while sitting on your porch?

richardh

Post by richardh »

Hey John, great video and a very nice phono. The background action is just as interesting as the foreground. I thought granny and granddaughter that got out of the orange car were going to ask you what you were doing!

RJ 8-)

richardh

Post by richardh »

Ive been inspired! :D All this talk of music in the open reminded me of an old LP album I have called "Concertos under the stars". It features recordings of orchestra's playing music in the open in the Hollywood Bowl. On the cover it refers to the fact that these "Symphonies under the stars" are an annual event at the Hollywood Bowl and had been for the past 30 years (from the date of the album which I guess is the early 1960's). Does anyone know if these still take place...must be a wonderful combination...live music under the stars! Anyone going to get their Amberola out tonight and listen to some music under the stars?

Oh and here is the cover to that album I was referring to.

RJ 8-)
DSC00014.JPG
DSC00015.JPG

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

phonophan79 wrote:Interesting to hear all of you comment on the outdoor sound. I have never done that.

Did you get any people passing by while sitting on your porch?
My neighbor's porch is not so very far from mine, and he said I played some very good music.
And some others who sat on a lawn nearby in chairs and talked became very quiet when I played "Rum Tum Tiddle" by Billy Murray.

Paal.
JohnM wrote:My new iPhone 3GS came a couple of days ago and I love having video at my fingertips! Paal's thread inspired me to make a video outside -- "in the sun" -- and post it to youtube . . . the first time I have ever done this! Hope you all enjoy the video . . . sorry about the pack of Harleys at the very end. We get a lot of those loud damned things through here and they are the bane of my existence when I'm trying to play records!

The cylinder is 'Rap! Rap! Rap! On Your Minstrel Bones' by Ed Meeker on BA #1576.
John,

That is a beautiful machine and a great cylinder! And welcome to the YouTube world :D
I hope you will post more of your machines on YouTube.
PS, It would be quite interesting to see the Shell-O-Phone in action ;)

Paal.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

John,

Your iPhone takes great quality video. I think I should get one & throw my Kodak camera away.
Gotta find me a copy of BA1576 too. I don't think Meeker recorded a dud cylinder ever.
Thanks for posting.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

I've never played a machine outside, but my elderly neighbors on either side are quite close, so I'm sure they can hear when I play my phonographs, especially the Credenza. I'm always particularly amused whenever I play "Barney Google"--one neighbor's name is Barney. I'm sure he knows it's not a slight against him, as he's old enough to remember the character. Funny you should mention power outages--I intend to play my machines at full volume if we ever have an extended one, with the windows open if weather permits.