I have sinned...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RAK402
Victor II

I have sinned...

Post by RAK402 »

I picked this up a few weeks ago. My father had one just like it (this one came from the Los Angeles area, and may actually be my father's, as the plinth is identical (at least from what I remember).

Anyway, I played two stacks of 78's on it this afternoon, through a wireless speaker, so that I could listen to it in the back yard.

I think the Cortez is extremely annoyed...

emerson
Victor III

Re: I have sinned...

Post by emerson »

A man has to do, what a man has to do-----you're father would be proud of you.

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Post by Panatropia »

Well, as I see it, your transgressions are somewhat expiated by the age of the Garrard plus they were 78s.

The wireless speaker on the other hand will require a good deal of penance. Listening to a continuous loop of Two Black Crows for one week.....part one and two....

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Panatropia wrote:Well, as I see it, your transgressions are somewhat expiated by the age of the Garrard plus they were 78s.

The wireless speaker on the other hand will require a good deal of penance. Listening to a continuous loop of Two Black Crows for one week.....part one and two....
More pertinent to sin, don't you mean the "Two Black Crows in Hades"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB3rOGubBCQ

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Garrards were considered excellent turntables back in the day. I remember them well. I have a vague notion of getting one some day and maybe hooking up to one of my antique radios.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

The one I would really like is the pre-LP style Califone schoolhouse phono. Those were built like a rock and they sounded very good.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

bigshot wrote:The one I would really like is the pre-LP style Califone schoolhouse phono. Those were built like a rock and they sounded very good.
Not pre-LP, but I have one of the earliest solid-state Califones; surplus from some high-school, and use it regularly for batch testing new 78 record acquisitions. They are not exactly hi-fi, but are sturdy and reliable and readily available at fairly low cost--great for that purpose.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

RAK402
Victor II

Post by RAK402 »

"The wireless speaker on the other hand will require a good deal of penance."

Wait a minute...

The Cortez is wireless, isn't it? (ok, at least there aren't any wires...)

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Post by Panatropia »

RAK402 wrote:"The wireless speaker on the other hand will require a good deal of penance."

Wait a minute...

The Cortez is wireless, isn't it? (ok, at least there aren't any wires...)
As concerns the Cortez, the sole wireless apparatus you should be remotely concerned with has tubes, batteries and horn speakers, or horseshoe drivers for cones or horns........with wires......

RAK402
Victor II

Post by RAK402 »

"As concerns the Cortez, the sole wireless apparatus you should be remotely concerned with has tubes, batteries and horn speakers, or horseshoe drivers for cones or horns........with wires......"

You have run rings around me logically, sir!