Featured Phonograph No. 124 - Berliner with Cornet Horn

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 124 - Berliner with Coronet Horn

Post by alang »

Thank you very much for presenting this rare machine!

Andreas

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Bill,
We have been looking forward to seeing your machine with great anticipatory delight!

WOW YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB. The horn is amazing and the whole machine is just jaw dropping.

We would like to put in a request to PLEASE BRING TO UNION for everyone to see. If there is a way to bring this to Union please do it.

Congratulations on an outstanding machine.

All the best,

David & Lerria

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Very nice. I'm so glad you managed to find the remaining parts needed. The record case looks 100%.
One of the best buys on Ebay in recent memory.
Congrats!!!.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

A beautiful machine indeed! But if Berliner called it "Coronet Horn" after the brass instrument, he was incorrect. The musical instrument is the CORNET (only one "O"). A coronet is a crown (<Latin "corona"), a cornet is a horn (<Latin "cornu"). A common error.

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

Henry wrote:A beautiful machine indeed! But if Berliner called it "Coronet Horn" after the brass instrument, he was incorrect. The musical instrument is the CORNET (only one "O"). A coronet is a crown (<Latin "corona"), a cornet is a horn (<Latin "cornu"). A common error.
Henry;
You are correct. I went back to the original post on this machine to look at the ad from the Aug.1899 of the Phonoscope that Schlick had posted and not only is it advertised as a 'Cornet Horn", but the cost of $35.00 is for the machine and the Cornet Horn. My mistake,good catch.

Bill

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 124 - Berliner with Cornet Horn

Post by Valecnik »

What a showpiece Bill. Beautifully done restoration.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

It would be very very nice to see and hear a youtube video of it playing with a reasonably unworn record.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

StL Bill wrote:
Henry wrote:A beautiful machine indeed! But if Berliner called it "Coronet Horn" after the brass instrument, he was incorrect. The musical instrument is the CORNET (only one "O"). A coronet is a crown (<Latin "corona"), a cornet is a horn (<Latin "cornu"). A common error.
Henry;
You are correct. I went back to the original post on this machine to look at the ad from the Aug.1899 of the Phonoscope that Schlick had posted and not only is it advertised as a 'Cornet Horn", but the cost of $35.00 is for the machine and the Cornet Horn. My mistake,good catch.

Bill
What a relief! Now I can sleep in peace. :)

The cornet was my first instrument, followed by baritone horn and trombone. So I feel a special bond with it. Also, it was the instrument of the early Louis Armstrong, and also Bix Beiderbecke, as well as Herbert L. Clarke, the great soloist. So it deserves respect!

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Great job Bill, it's finds like this that keep us all on the hunt. You just never know, what's going to turn up where.
Luckily this one ended up in capable hands to properly bring it back.

Larry Crandell

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

StL Bill wrote:
Henry;

Bill
Ah... I was going to observe that the horn cost more than the Gramophone itself ($25.00)... :D

Bill