Featured Phonograph № 27

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 27

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Speaking of tone, the William and Mary seemed to be the only model besides the flagship C250 or C 19 that was used in the Tone Test circuit. Here's an impromptu Tone Test using William and Mary.
This is an old scan of mine. I SWEAR I'm getting a new scanner :oops:
Jim

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

A very lovely machine and one I have previously owned also. I would rather like to have one again. I almost purchased one recently here, but it was a very dark finish and not the more attractive lighter tone of yours. My first one was light also.. Isn't the grill actually about the same size?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Valecnik wrote:
Neophone wrote:Bruce,

A beautiful machine! I've always been fond of that cabinet design. Is there any sign of an original grille cloth?

Regards,
John
John,

No sign of the original cloth although it certainly would have had one. The silk must have been glued ever so lightly onto the back of the grill because on this model, as with the C19 and others, there's no molding to help hold it in. I have a c19 with original but tattered grillccloth, posted earlier as a featured phono, and an A250 with original but very tattered grillcloth but it is really rare to find an Edison machine with an original nice grillcloth. No doors to protect it like on the later machines.
Bruce,

Thanks. I can't help but wonder why they chose to just glue to cloth on like that on some of their machines?!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!