Yikes!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Covah
Victor II

Yikes!

Post by Covah »

I played Blue Amberols on my Amberola and they worked fine. But when I tried black wax four-minute cylinders the stylus cut the wax like a lathe. There was also an echo. Blue cylinders seem harder than wax, more like plastic. There is a little screw that adjusts weight up and down, it makes no difference where the stylus is positioned. I can't enjoy my little Amberola if it ruins my cylinders! Dang!

HELP!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Yikes!

Post by estott »

Do not play black wax cylinders on your Amberola- it will ruin them! They were meant to be played on earlier machines with a lighter weight sapphire. Your Amberola has a heavier diamond point- you can only play 4 minute celluloid records on it.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Covah wrote:I played Blue Amberols on my Amberola and they worked fine. But when I tried black wax four-minute cylinders the stylus cut the wax like a lathe. There was also an echo. Blue cylinders seem harder than wax, more like plastic. There is a little screw that adjusts weight up and down, it makes no difference where the stylus is positioned. I can't enjoy my little Amberola if it ruins my cylinders! Dang!

HELP!
Wax four-minute cylinders can be played ONLY with a sapphire reproducer such as an H, R, S, K, N-56, M, L, etc. Blue Amberols can be played with sapphire or diamond styli. If your Amberola is equipped with a Diamond C Reproducer, don't play wax records with it! The good news is there's nothing wrong with your Amberola. Wax is played with sapphire, celluloid is played with anything.

George P.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Thanks for your help! Live and learn.