Victor VV 4-40 reproducer question.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Wolfe
Victor V

Victor VV 4-40 reproducer question.

Post by Wolfe »

I've taken possession of an electric (1927) Victor 4-40 phonograph.

It has a Exhibition reproducer though. Could this machine have been originally fitted with this?

If not, what type of reproducer would I obtain to bring it to spec?

Thanks.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Victor VV 4-40 reproducer question.

Post by estott »

The 4-40 is an Orthophonic machine and should have the Orthophonic reproducer. An Exhibition reproducer shouldn't be able to fit on this machine unless is has an adapter.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Hopefully it has the correct tonearm and is only playing the Exhibition via an adapter! Must sound pretty puny with it.

Although not techinically correct for this machine, Frank has a portable-type Orthophonic reproducer for sale on the Yankee Trader section, a good price for one which has been rebuilt. Not sure if it's still available though.
Adam

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

The exhibition is screwed to what looks like about a ¼ inch thick rubber gasket that's mounted independently on the opening of the arm.

I kind of figured it should have an Orthophonic reproducer, but wasn't dead sure.

EDIT: Now I see from the photo above that this machine even has a different arm than the one pictured.
A straight tapered tube with an elbow.

This machine was given to me and appears to run pretty soundly, but perhaps I should look into buying an arm and reproducer now.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Wolfe wrote:The exhibition is screwed to what looks like about a ¼ inch thick rubber gasket that's mounted independently on the opening of the arm.

I kind of figured it should have an Orthophonic reproducer, but wasn't dead sure.

EDIT: Now I see from the photo above that this machine even has a different arm than the one pictured.

This machine was given to me and appears to run pretty soundly, but perhaps I should look into buying an arm and reproducer now.
During the "Orthophonic era," or from late 1925-1929+, the only Victrola models equipped with an Exhibition sound box were the bottom of the line VV-1-1 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-1.htm) table top model, and the VV-1-2 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-2.htm) which was the same machine, but marketed as a children's phonograph.

As noted above, I suspect some later owner installed an earlier style goose-neck tonearm, which would fit an Exhibition sound box, because the original tonearm's back bracket crumbled away.

You'll find, once you replace these components with both the correct tonearm and Orthophonic sound box, that there's all the difference in the world, in terms of sound quality. The VV-4-40 actually does have a very powerful sound, and pumps out quite a bit of bass when the tone chamber is properly sealed. It's not as deep as you'd have with a Credenza, but it's definitely there, and you can feel as well as hear it--depending on the record you play.

If you have a chance, could you post some photos of your Victrola?

OF

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Ortho_Fan wrote:
Wolfe wrote:The exhibition is screwed to what looks like about a ¼ inch thick rubber gasket that's mounted independently on the opening of the arm.

During the "Orthophonic era," or from late 1925-1929+, the only Victrola models equipped with an Exhibition sound box were the bottom of the line VV-1-1 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-1.htm) table top model, and the VV-1-2 (http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-2.htm) which was the same machine, but marketed as a children's phonograph.

As noted above, I suspect some later owner installed an earlier style goose-neck tonearm, which would fit an Exhibition sound box, because the original tonearm's back bracket crumbled away.

You'll find, once you replace these components with both the correct tonearm and Orthophonic sound box, that there's all the difference in the world, in terms of sound quality. The VV-4-40 actually does have a very powerful sound, and pumps out quite a bit of bass when the tone chamber is properly sealed. It's not as deep as you'd have with a Credenza, but it's definitely there, and you can feel as well as hear it--depending on the record you play.

If you have a chance, could you post some photos of your Victrola?

OF
I wish I could put up some photos, but my only camera is a disposable film camera that I have sitting in a drawer. :D

I've taken the back panel off to inspect for cracks and such and can't find any. The motor was supposedly reconditioned a couple years ago and seems to run smoothly.

As for the sound, it's not bad, but yes, a little thin and not nearly as loud as I might expect.

I intend to replace the arm and reproducer now. Given that it may be my only expense paid on this machine to date, I'm not complaining.