Victor M

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Victor M

Post by CharliePhono »

Can a forum member kindly inform me what is the oval-shaped piece near the back bracket on this Victor M? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Victor M

Post by Dave D »

It is merely used to cover the holes for the front mount arm when the machine is set up as a rear mount model. I always wondered why they used that instead of a small plate.
Dave D

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Any why is there a raised portion with a hole in it? It's always been a mystery to me. Jerry Blais

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Jerry B. wrote:Any why is there a raised portion with a hole in it? It's always been a mystery to me. Jerry Blais
It is almost like they good a super good deal on these weird fittings and just decided to use them!

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

As I recall, years ago on Ebay I saw a Rigid Arm Victor "M" with a crane coming from this fitting to support an over-sized Victor screw mount horn. The horn even had a loop for crane support.

It kind of makes sense, because the Rigid Arm horn elbows are almost always found bent over because of the weight of the horn. (Even though it had the extra horn support, as I recall, this machine still had a bent elbow!).

Victor quickly moved to the Taper Arm, which was a much better design.
Maybe they just had a lot of these "do-dads" left over till they used them up?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Wow, that is something I have never seen or heard of before, even though it makes a lot of sense to support the Horn on a disk machine with a crane. If anyone has a picture of such a setup Icould you please post it here? I would very much appreciate it.

Andreas

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Post by uncle-jimmy »

I would also very much like to learn more about the crane for Rigid Arm Victors. I have a Vic MS Rigid Arm with a 22 inch threaded All Brass horn with a little "Loop Ready" strap riveted to the horn up near the Bell. I could certainly understand why it was there , but I never associated the hole covering Do-Dad with it. Now , I can definitely see a possible connection.

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Post by uncle-jimmy »

Okay ... I have given you guys four Years to think about this , so I thought I might re-boot this thread . The question being the use of the Oval cabinet hole hider ,with the drilled hole in the top , possibly being used for some kind of simple Horn crane ( Maybe similar to an Edison Gem horn crane ) to help support a medium length Victor horn , when using the Rigid Arm set up . Thus taking some of the pressure off that poor little Rigid Arm elbow.
Has anyone run across any mention of such a thing ?
Jim Maxwell

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I have never seen any ads showing a crane but it makes sense. Maybe the re-boot of this thread might get some answers.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

A 22" Victor horn definitely could use the support, instead of relying on that Rigid Arm elbow. If it bends in half, you will regret not making the crane, since loose elbows are extremely hard to find and expensive. I know, since it took me 13 years to find one for my Rigid Arm M. Whether or not you find a picture of an original crane, you should make a crane, since it is simple and cheap insurance.

You should also consider sending your elbow to Ken Brekke (Phono-Phan) and have him reinforce it... he is very experienced with this.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife