Hit of the Week
Victor I

Re: Berliner Trademark Evolution Question

Post by Hit of the Week »

Thanks, John!

Iowa Dale

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks, Dale and Jerry, for the serial number and decal information. I'm surprised to see "Co." decals this late rather than "Corp." decals. National Gramophone incorporated in March 1899, so I expected the last 14 months' production to carry the later decal. :?

George P.

PaulG
Victor O

Post by PaulG »

Do you have any information on this style, which I assume was produced after the Berliner label ( Eldrige Johnson) ?
It has the Gramophone Company decal and a serial number that looks like 2729.

Paul
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Paul,

The decal you show was used in Europe on Berliner Gramophones sold by the Gramophone Company, Limited. Although manufactured in the U.S., this is not really considered an American Berliner, but it's the model shown in the famous trademark, "His Master's Voice." You may see "Made in U.S.A." stamped on the bottom in blue ink.

The Gramophone Company, Limited, was established in May 1898 under the management of William Barry Owen, and had its first offices at 31 Maiden Lane in London. Judging by the serial number of your machine, I would expect it dates from soon after the company's establishment.

George P.

PaulG
Victor O

Post by PaulG »

Thank you George for the info. The machine does have the "Made in USA on the bottom.

Paul

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome.

Nice machine!

George P.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

PaulG wrote:Do you have any information on this style, which I assume was produced after the Berliner label ( Eldrige Johnson) ?
It has the Gramophone Company decal and a serial number that looks like 2729.

Paul
Paul,
I have one of the same model as yours, with the same decal and serial number 1261. I am also looking for information about it, unfortunately I no longer had the reproducer and I ended up improvising with one until I found the most suitable one.
Thank you all for helping.
Attachments
89788356_230903008032680_957054898371821568_n.jpg
89853134_2665370943589393_5833951122942853120_o.jpg
90285085_145629320056034_6416855137939095552_n.jpg

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

What is the difference between US and Canada one. Thanks

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

cheryla wrote:What is the difference between US and Canada one. Thanks
Canadian models came on the market January 1900. At first, all components (except the case and travel arm) were imported from Johnson in the US. Berliner first set up shop renting space in Bell's telephone factory in Montreal. By bringing the parts into Canada and assembling here avoided certain import taxes and duties.

One of the main cosmetic differences is in how the Canadian cases are constructed. Since Bell's oak telephones were constructed using box joints, Berliner's Canadian cases were made using this method. The initial 1900 models were really identical to their US counterpart...except for the box joint corners. Even a Canadian branded Clark-Johnson sound box was offered....for a very short time.

Once He was able to establish a foundry the machines were made entirely in Canada.

Here are the two basic Canadian Trademark models. The later models were designed to accommodate playing larger disc's (8 & 10 inch) by redesigning the brake.
1900 Berliner Improved Gramophone Canadian No.837 (1).JPG
1902-03 Canadian Trade-Mark (3).JPG

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »

Did they all come with the brass horn. thanks I just got one.