The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Discussion For Thread re: New Collectors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm 
Victor III
Brad -

You make a very good point about the FAQ's. As both a new member and a neophyte, one of the attractions of this board has been being able to get answers to my perhaps simple questions.

One thing to guard against, if I may say so, is telling a newbie that "this has been discussed before" - which does come across something like a bucket of cold water.

I've had some very useful and very interesting answers to my questions, and am grateful. Some FAQ's might be useful, but there's nothing like a detailed and reasoned answer to one's questions, and the group here has been very helpful.

Nat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 pm 
Victor I
Valecnic-----Your proposed format is right on the money. A library of sorts, if you will, would be valuable to anyone's level of knowledge of all types of machines. Even the most simple fact listed would be a help to most. As an example, I only collect Edison cylinder machines because it was my first choice. When Victrolas are discussed on this board, my interest wanes since I do not have time to investigate all of the types and models made----but my interest could be piqued if I could find some information conveniently in one locale. As for the concern as to a "newbie" asking a question ----or anyone for that matter----being told the particular topic was previously discussed and to access the archives, well, that to me is just a pompous reply and should be avoided. Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:13 am 
Victor III
Folks,

Fear not-I would never go for any sort of FAQ archive to simple shove new members toward! I am thinking more a spot for a new collector to read just some very basic info and a few links here and there. As someone said-"the personal touch" that's how we'll thrive!

I agree with the members who commented that the phrase "this has been discussed before..." can sometimes come across the wrong way. I do like the idea of linking older threads with newer ones discussing the same subject, honestly-is there anything phono-related we haven't already discussed at some point!? :lol: Bear in kind I'm thinking of something very untechnical, since a new collector isn't going to know many technical details or the "proper" nomenclature.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!