Edison Gem Speaker (Branded Model A)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Edison Gem Speaker (Branded Model A)

Post by DGPros »

I started off the year small, as in an Edison model A branded gem small. I have been researching this model quite a bit. Since this is my "3rd" Gem, I guess I will need to fill out the complete lineup soon. :twisted: The odd sized Gem speaker (reproducer)seems to be missing it's sapphire reproducer. I doubt I will be using this to actually play my cylinders, but would still like to have it working. The glass diaphragm is still intact, but my questions are 1) how do you attach the "metal loop" to the diaphragm.2)how do you attach the sapphire reproducer (also does anyone have a clear picture of how one of these looks attached? I enjoy rebuilding things myself but would be interested on the degree of difficulty on this one. I attached some pictures of the parts of the reproducer below.

Sorry I should have posted this in tips, tricks and tutorials. I had early model a in my head when it posted to machines.
Attachments
2017-01-04 22.18.05.jpg
2017-01-04 22.19.11.jpg
underside of motor, runs, needs new belt and cleaning
underside of motor, runs, needs new belt and cleaning
2017-01-04 22.16.36.jpg
2017-01-04 22.15.35.jpg
2017-01-04 22.34.36.jpg
2017-01-04 22.17.10.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Edison Gem Speaker (Branded Model A)

Post by Lucius1958 »

A glass diaphragm would have used a small disc with an eyelet, attached with stratena, to connect the stylus link.

As for the stylus itself, it would have been ball-shaped, much like Columbia styli, and probably held in the stylus bar with shellac.

Bill

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Lucius1958 wrote:A glass diaphragm would have used a small disc with an eyelet, attached with stratena, to connect the stylus link.

As for the stylus itself, it would have been ball-shaped, much like Columbia styli, and probably held in the stylus bar with shellac.

Bill
Thanks Bill for the verification, I can see where the small disc must have attached. It seems to be about ½" round. Gary
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Bob
Victor II

Post by Bob »

Ron Sitko has the eyelet, gaskets and stylus for your reproducer. He will also answer any questions you have about assembling them.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Bob wrote:Ron Sitko has the eyelet, gaskets and stylus for your reproducer. He will also answer any questions you have about assembling them.

Thanks Bob, I'm putting together quite an order for him. I have a tendency to take things apart without the wherewithal on when and how I'm going to put it back together. Now that I've looked at it more in depth, I think I understand it, but those screws sure are tiny! :geek:
Frederic Bastiat