10-50 for sale and a question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ishkabibble
Victor Jr

10-50 for sale and a question

Post by ishkabibble »

This is interesting - I wonder if this is the same guy who posted the cool videos on youtube demonstrating the changer. (Didn't see this mentioned in the forum; sorry if it's a repeat.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTROLA-10-50-AUTO ... 286.c0.m14

Anyway, my question is about the close up of the reproducer shown in the ad - so, if I've done my homework, this is a pot metal orthophonic because of the 9 teardrop holes? Given the crack, would it be possible to repair it? If not, is it easy to find a replacement?

Oh, and no, I'm not going to make an offer. That's out of my league.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: 10-50 for sale and a question

Post by gramophoneshane »

I dont know much about these at all, but isn't this way over-priced? I seem to recall these selling for about half that price a year or two ago??

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Iskabibble,

It looks like it could be fixed easily enough with some JB Weld since it appears to be only the head-shell that's cracked, but I'm not sure.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

In today's market, yes, it is overpriced. Considering the fact that it's a nicely gone through working changer with all the pot metal gears replaced, it really isn't a terrible deal. This seller bought this machine a couple of years ago and had it all gone through by somebody, I remember the sale, but I don't recall who did the work. His asking price is around what he has in the machine. As I recall, the ebay auction price he paid was over $3k, at a time when 10-50s were hot sellers. It has a very nice cabinet on it, most I've seen look nasty in comparison. If somebody has the money and wants a nice reliable and handsome, yet HUGE, machine this might not be such a high price. I wonder how much Carsten is trying to unload his for? I know his has been refinished, the one on ebay is a nice original.

I love my 10-50, btw, they're an absolutely fascinating phonograph and they sound pretty darned good as well. :mrgreen:

Oh, as for the pot metal reproducer, all 10-50s came with pot metal ones. This one may not be rebuildable, I wouldn't be able to tell you for certain without having it in my hands to check out. Rebuilt replacements are easy enough to get, Frank T. has one for sale for $65 in the Yankee Trader section right now, a steal at that price. I'd buy it, but I've already got a handful of spares.

Sean