Cheney Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Operafan
Victor Jr

Cheney Reproducer

Post by Operafan »

I recently bought Cheney verticle-cut groove reproducer, which had been part of a set including also a lateral reproducer for the Chaney phonograph. It seems to be in good order, but when I use a diamond point to play Edison disks I notice that the sound is rather subdued, lower volume than I get with a Pathé reproducer and diamond point. Is this a sign I need to have it reconditioned, or is it inherent in the gutta-percha diaphragm (which looks perfectly good). Do these age badly, or is their thickness and heaviness an issue from day one? Anyone have any experience with Cheney machines?

Jeff

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Cheney Reproducer

Post by estott »

I'd start with replacing the gaskets. I haven't replaced mine yet but have been told to use regular gasketing on one side and a Columbia gasket on the other. While Cheney machines are very well made (no pot metal at all) there's a huge air leak at the back of the tone arm that causes sound loss- this can be reduced by grease packing. I've played Edison and Pathé discs on mine and while it doesn't yet have much volume the sound quality seems very good to me.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Joe Wakeman wrote a nice article on Cheney phonographs several years ago, that's still available online -- http://www.gracyk.com/cheney.shtml
Last edited by OrthoFan on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

BTW- with a little packing to hold it in place a Cheney vertical reproducer can be fitted to a Victor tone arm, I've played Edison discs on my VV-50 portable this way - I was using one that Bob Waltrip had refitted with a styrofoam diaphragm, the sound and volume were quite good. I tried playing it outside but even a slight breeze will cause a skid across the grooves.

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

This is in fact how I was using it: a simple piece of rubber tubing will fit it onto an Edison portable "needle cut" player. I just got a P1 (and have a P2 as well), whose Edison reproducer needed to be refitted, and the Cheney turned out to slip onto the arm even easier (the potmetal neck on the Edison is chipped, the Cheney is whole). I thought it would be neat to play Edison Diamond Disks on an Edison portable, and the sound is very nice (but not as loud as "normal" records with the Edison needle cut reproducer, nor as loud as the Edisons with other reproducers).

Jeff