Bought A New One Today

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Bought A New One Today

Post by SonnyPhono »

I have been busy lately but said that I would show some pictures of the XIV when I finished it. It cleaned up nicely and is completely original. I had to replace a spring and aside from that, just gave it the general polish/cleaning. I know it's not a VV-XVIII or VV-XX, but I still think it looks pretty nice.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I may be in some sort of odd minority, but I've always like the XIV, enough so that I have three of them at the moment, one the earliest style with gold plating and the record tray in oak which I'll never part with, another like Sonny's in mahogany (they look great all cleaned up, don't they?) and another in a nice golden oak. My two later machines were nice finds to me because they came with everything, instructions, albums full of proper vintage records and their keys. Of course, the earliest one was the best find because of what it is and ironically it has lived in my neighborhood since it was new!

Sean

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The nice thing about that machine is the set of original albums. A full set give the machine a lovely finished look.

Jim

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/1574196741.html

You might want to erase the start of this thread where you say you paid under $100 for it if you are going to turn around and try to sell the same player on craigslist for $450. :roll:

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yea, I wish I could. My wife said one has to go so unfortunately it is this one. I put it at a very high price with hopes that it won't sell! (But don't tell her that!) :D

If it does sell for that, then I would be ok for that price. If not, then I would be even happier to keep it!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Also on Craigslist you have to start high to leave room for the price you actually want.

Most times it seems WHATEVER price you put, someone always mails you asking for less.

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

That's definitely true. I know that the XIV isn't a top of the line model by any means. But it isn't a run of the mill X or XI either. It does have the key and all of the original albums and has not been refinished or had any parts replaced. So I thought that price was a fair starting point assuming someone will probably write and offer $300 or so. It plays great and looks nice, so I would have a tough time letting it go for any less.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

SonnyPhono wrote:I have been busy lately but said that I would show some pictures of the XIV when I finished it. It cleaned up nicely and is completely original. I had to replace a spring and aside from that, just gave it the general polish/cleaning. I know it's not a VV-XVIII or VV-XX, but I still think it looks pretty nice.

nice machine... and I agree with sean about XIV's - they're great basic upright acoustic victors (with the big horn, four spring motor, etc.). I've got one in walnut.

but why do you use two user names?

also, would you upload your photos directly to the board? it makes it much easier to view them that way.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

SonnyPhono wrote:Yea, I wish I could. My wife said one has to go so unfortunately it is this one. I put it at a very high price with hopes that it won't sell! (But don't tell her that!) :D

If it does sell for that, then I would be ok for that price. If not, then I would be even happier to keep it!
Ahhh, okay, this makes sense. I guess you could add "negotiable" on the price, but if the ad is also to please the Missus, then this is a handy lesson for a single man to learn ;)

(I'm in Columbus and hunting for phonos, hence why I found it).

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Glad I could clear that up for you. :D I didn't want to put negotiable because then I would lose the chance of someone paying the price I am asking. For example, awhile ago I sold a Grafonola 110 on Craigslist. I didn't really want to part with it so I put a very high price on it just to test the waters. It only lasted a day before I was offered my full asking price of $550. So I thought I would try a high price with this one just in case. And like you said, it helps my wife as she can rest assured it is for sale. :)

On a side note, I heard through the grapevine that you may be working on designing a "Franken-Amberola". I can't provide my VI for the parts, but may know someone who has some empty uprights laying around. ;)