The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bought A New One Today
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm 
Victor I
SonnyPhono wrote:
Glad I could clear that up for you. :D I didn't want to put negotiable because then I would lose the chance of someone paying the price I am asking. For example, awhile ago I sold a Grafonola 110 on Craigslist. I didn't really want to part with it so I put a very high price on it just to test the waters. It only lasted a day before I was offered my full asking price of $550. So I thought I would try a high price with this one just in case. And like you said, it helps my wife as she can rest assured it is for sale. :)

On a side note, I heard through the grapevine that you may be working on designing a "Franken-Amberola". I can't provide my VI for the parts, but may know someone who has some empty uprights laying around. ;)

Your sources are accurate in their information. A nice upright cabinet to start with is something I need. The plan is to modify the storage area for amberols, a la the Amberola 80.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 pm 
Victor III
Hello,
I really like your Victrola with record albums. I don't think that it is anyones business what you paid for it,plus you have put some work into it. If you lived in my home town i would gladly pay you $400.00 for it.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 am 
Victor III
Drawing a blank...
Thanks for the kind words, Pete! Like Brian mentioned, the XIV is a nice acoustic phonograph with a large horn. This one displays well and plays great. So I think the asking price is fair for someone looking for such qualities in a phonograph.

By the way Brian, I am always impressed with the phonographs in your collection! I'm pretty jealous you have an XIV in walnut. I would love any Victrola in walnut. I can't seem to find any for a reasonable price. Post a picture of it if you would. I would love to see it! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 am 
Victor V
on instagram as "oncedeadsound"
here are a couple of XIV's I used to own in different finishes - the first is walnut, the second is either a fumed or weathered oak. I own another walnut XIV now but have no photos. good luck with selling yours (actually at one point 6 or 7 years ago I sold a mahogany XIV fully restored (motor completely redone, reproducer rebuilt, and overall the cabinet was pretty flawless) for $750 through a local antique store (I'd say that's close to the high end though)... so I too think 450 for yours is a very fair price.

Attachments:
HPIM0755.JPG
HPIM0755.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 522 times ]
HPIM0759.JPG
HPIM0759.JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 522 times ]
MVC-035X.JPG
MVC-035X.JPG [ 100.04 KiB | Viewed 522 times ]
MVC-038X.JPG
MVC-038X.JPG [ 120.42 KiB | Viewed 522 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:29 am 
Victor III
Drawing a blank...
Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian. Both looked great. I'm keeping my eye out for a walnut Victrola and am bound to find one someday.

I wouldn't mind $750 for my XIV! :D I rebuilt the motor and reproducer. The cabinet is very nice, but not top notch. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards keeping it and letting go of something else. : )