Jasper's Place

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor78
Victor I

Jasper's Place

Post by Victor78 »

Robin and Joan Rolfs sent me a link to a video of Jasper's place. For those of you who have not been there, this is kind of a sneak preview and doesn't do the collection justice. Either way, it's nice to see, but much, much better in person. Is that an understatement or what?

Here is the video: http://video.wttw.com/video/1336536885
Here is the website of The Sanfilippo Foundation: http://www.placedelamusique.org/

Enjoy!

How about people post one of their favorite pictures from Jasper's place? Here is one of mine:

- Jim
Attachments
DSC01364s.jpg

Kirkwood
Victor II

Re: Jasper's Place

Post by Kirkwood »

I have watched the video several times now, and this place is just entrancing. Mesmerizing. I have to get out there one day to see it all for myself. As I had mentioned on the Moo-board, I'm especially glad to know that this collection is being preserved intact by the Sanfilippo Foundation. I'd had a discussion with a collector friend on this topic, he had been out there several times over the years. His opinion (at that time) was that the family didn't have much interest in the collection, and that we would one day see it all being sold off piecemeal. I allowed as how that would be a terrific shame, it's such a stellar collection. Sure, there are things we'd all like for ourselves out there, but being able to share the whole collection with the greater populace will likely ensure the interest continues. From my own experience, it wasn't until I went to a Mechanical Music museum as a kid that I got very interested in this hobby (it was in Deansboro NY, for those that remember it). I don't own much, and never really did, but the interest continues. So long as Jasper's collection can be maintained at the same high standards that (it appears) it now holds, the interest in this hobby can continue beyond the present generation. Or so I hope.

But---I can't pick just one phono or item from the group as a favorite!

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Victor78 wrote:
How about people post one of their favorite pictures from Jasper's place? Here is one of mine:

- Jim
It's hard to pick just one, so I'll post two

This is an interesting cabinet, & I like the grille on the horn opening

I'm posting this for fun because I always liked this Mr. Peanut. If I remember correctly, he's located downstairs in the house.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

can anyone idnetify the machine at 2:51 into the video? It has Victor Data plate (or it looks like one to me), but doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's a Victor "V" in a custom cabinet offered by the Douglas Phonograph Company. We featured a full-page photo of this example on page 121 of Discovering Antique Phonographs.

George P.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

3victrolas:
I know it's hard to pick just one picture, thank for your two! What amazes me is that no matter how many times you go there, you always see something new. My Dad and I looked at each others photo's that we each took last year, and we always ask the same question: Where did you see that one? :) Thanks for the post.