Columbia BK adjustment?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ts_13
Victor II

Columbia BK adjustment?

Post by ts_13 »

I recently acquired a nice little BK. I have it cleaned up and running like a top! BUT a few of my 2 minute indestructible records hit and miss. What I mean by that is that when it is playing the stylus only hits about half of the time thus not playing properly. It does not do this on all records but a good number of them. The stylus just barely misses on on side of the record? The records are not warped bad meaning they are not oblong. Any ideas on how to adjust this?

Thank you guys

T

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Columbia BK adjustment?

Post by ChuckA »

ts_13 wrote:I recently acquired a nice little BK. I have it cleaned up and running like a top! BUT a few of my 2 minute indestructible records hit and miss. What I mean by that is that when it is playing the stylus only hits about half of the time thus not playing properly. It does not do this on all records but a good number of them. The stylus just barely misses on on side of the record? The records are not warped bad meaning they are not oblong. Any ideas on how to adjust this?

Thank you guys

T
First is make sure the mandrel shaft is not bent, if it's not then adjust the height of the reproducer by rotating the rear shaft that the tail of the carriage rides on. Loosen the set screw and rotate the shaft, it's in an eccentric bearing.

Chuck

ts_13
Victor II

Re: Columbia BK adjustment?

Post by ts_13 »

ChuckA wrote:
ts_13 wrote:I recently acquired a nice little BK. I have it cleaned up and running like a top! BUT a few of my 2 minute indestructible records hit and miss. What I mean by that is that when it is playing the stylus only hits about half of the time thus not playing properly. It does not do this on all records but a good number of them. The stylus just barely misses on on side of the record? The records are not warped bad meaning they are not oblong. Any ideas on how to adjust this?

Thank you guys

T
First is make sure the mandrel shaft is not bent, if it's not then adjust the height of the reproducer by rotating the rear shaft that the tail of the carriage rides on. Loosen the set screw and rotate the shaft, it's in an eccentric bearing.

Chuck

YES! Touchdown!! Thank you very much, that fixed the problem. That is a great adjustment mechanism, I had somewhat resigned myself to only playing a few records. Thank you very much again.

I owe you a beer.

T