Aeolian Art Model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Aeolian Art Model

Post by Benjamin_L »

I'm really excited to go pick up this Aeolian Vocalion later today, which I think may be an art model?

(I've gone through a few Aeolian catalogs and can't find the exact model, anybody recognized it?)

It needs quite a bit of work but I think I can get it back together and cleaned up. I believe the Graduola may be missing which maybe hard to track down, and the lid support, but that'll be a little easier. I would like to get a new grille made when I find the original pattern. So if anyone has a suggestion of where I could a new one made I'd appreciate it.

I'll share some better photos when I get it back to my garage.
Attachments
Ae1.jpg
Ae1.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Ae2.jpg
Ae3.jpg
Ae3.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Ae4.jpg
Ae5.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Aeolian Art Model

Post by Jerry B. »

That was an impressive machine. I look forward to photos when it's brought back to its original splendor. It's a very worthy project. Jerry Blais

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Nice project. As far as the grille goes you may want to try Gramps Treasures, he may have a template to this machine. I've had several grilles made through him and he does great work. Bill K

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

These are really cool and very large machines... I used to have a different version, the very one that’s shown on page 175 of Fabrizio and Paul’s discovering antique phonographs (I hope it’s ok to post a shot of the page)... unfortunately I sold mine during a move several years ago. One of the biggest issues I had restoring it was locating the correct overhang support for the tonearm... aeolian used pot metal, like Columbia, and those supports are often damaged if not broken.
Attachments
830559AF-388B-48C0-9592-AAE74B331D79.jpeg

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Found a few shots of my old machine... may help with your grill and other issues...
Attachments
75E6B2A8-3F2B-4CCF-ADB6-0576ED6985AF.jpeg
FD784780-7E4C-4167-9EE0-8DB750D3FE7D.jpeg
FC56C770-C5BB-4950-87F9-AFB3F6A4FF97.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

brianu wrote:These are really cool and very large machines... I used to have a different version, the very one that’s shown on page 175 of Fabrizio and Paul’s discovering antique phonographs (I hope it’s ok to post a shot of the page)...
Brian, it's okay by me to post a shot of a book page occasionally, as long as you mention where it came from - as you did.

Personally, I think this model looks more impressive with its lid closed - what a beautiful monster!

Best of luck with the restoration! :)

George P.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Congrats!! Please post pictures of the restoration.
Ken

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It should be possible to get a Graduola out of a busted example of a cheap machine- lots out there with ruined arms.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey--that has an electric motor, right? That in itself is worth celebrating just for rarity, let alone such a fancy machine.

Beautiful find, hope to see some restoration pictures!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Great to see such an interesting Aeolian cabinet. The very first machine I ever heard or played with was my great grandfathers Aeolian. Nothing like yours. Most I see around here are almost box like in design, I have often wondered why when most other companies had more attractive cases. Do let us see it again when the cabinet is finished. Finding a grill will make a huge difference. A friend ran into a very small oak table model Aeolian, it is quite attractive considering the overall design. And it sounds very good.

The one my grandmother had when I was a child a relative tried to wind up and broke the spring on the first try. I was heartbroken when she gave it to a reclusive nephew due to the spring. He never got it going either so I don't know what happened to it.