Just had to do it !!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Just had to do it !!!

Post by Dedrums »

There's an antique dealer around my way I usually visit every other weekend. For 2 years now this baby has been sitting in the corner collecting dust,but way to pricy at $200. I saw her today with a bunch of crap on it and crying for me to take her home.So my wife steps in and talks the owner down to $60 yea . So my question to you do I leave it green? I think it looks pretty cool. If you look close at the first pic under the tone arm on the wood is engraved "1988" wonder what that's about?
Attachments
yy.jpg
20171126_161444.jpg
20171126_153505.jpg
20171126_153524.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Just had to do it !!!

Post by Phonofreak »

I can see why this sat around for over 2 years. The 1988 could be a stock or an inventory number. It is factory original. If this was my machine, I would strip off the green paint and refinish it to red Mahogany, as originally finished. Also, you can get the correct, replacement knobs.
Harvey Kravitz

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

In the late 60s and early 70s there were a lot of people using the "antiquing treatment" on all kinds of antiques, (basically a weathered paint look). It is ironic that it was often used to "antique" genuine antique or collectible items, thereby making them less authentic or collectible.

The number is probably just a manufacturing identification. I like the New Bedford dealer tag. Lots of history there.

Since you asked, my answer would be no, the green and door pulls have to go.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I motion that we officially call this color "Ex-Lax and Seagulls."

So yes, I say refinish.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I have a Columbia that they converted to a oak finish. I will probably strip it and finish it in original finish. Tom

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I motion that we officially call this color "Ex-Lax and Seagulls."

So yes, I say refinish.
I agree. It's time to buy bags of fine steel wool and furniture refinisher. Good luck with the project.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I don't mind the drop pulls - the X is a bit on the plain side

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Those enormous drop pulls will be a problem if it's refinished--if someone wants to put original style knobs on, then there will be a mark from the hipster handles.

As for plain, 100-year-old red mahogany refinished to high gloss shellac is never plain, IMHO. Refinished machines can be real showstoppers if done right--betcha it will draw more attention than an alligatored machine from the average viewer.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

If there was a jacked up baby blue Gem with gold fittings I'd be hearing how wonderfully creative and brilliant this machine is rather than how to refinish it back to original. Right?

:roll:

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Retrograde wrote:If there was a jacked up baby blue Gem with gold fittings I'd be hearing how wonderfully creative and brilliant this machine is rather than how to refinish it back to original. Right?

:roll:

Exactly my thoughts.