Featured Phonograph No.134 - Victor Victrola VV-XII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Featured Phonograph No.134 - Victor Victrola VV-XII

Post by Jerry B. »

Very nice. I could count on one hand the number of these I’ve seeni in oak. It’s definitely a keeper. Jerry B.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Django wrote:
DGPros wrote:Love the Oak myself, but had to settle on the Mahogany with matching cabinet. This is in the last 4-500 made I believe. I too was surprised how good it actually sounds.
You call that settling?
My tongue was firmly planted in cheek :D
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

I am curious what the rationale was behind the XII's design. The table model XI was exactly contemporary, was it not? It must have used the same (or similar) motor; yet it has a larger horn opening... :?
The table model VV-XI was introduced when the VV-XII was discontinued. It was intended to be a lower cost replacement for the XII, so they aren't contemporaries.
Years ago I was wondering if these were a special run made for Lyon & Healy in Chicago. I still don't know for sure.
My oak VV-XII has a decal from The Southern California Music Company (a Victor distributor), so they were not for Lyon & Healy exclusively. I too have seen only a handful of oak XIIs, so they are not at all common. All the ones that I have seen have been the later style with the fretwork, and apparently they were offered in all of the standard oak finishes. There was a Flemish Oak XII at Union a while ago, which had unfortunately been sprayed with black paint on the outside. If it were untouched, I would have bought it in a flash.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Silvertone wrote: My oak VV-XII has a decal from The Southern California Music Company (a Victor distributor), so they were not for Lyon & Healy exclusively.
Thanks for that information Bob! There's a thought I can now lay to rest... :)

George P.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

While my XII doesn't have a dealer tag or decal, it does have the usual Berliner tag common with Victor machines sold in Canada.
Vince
Youtube

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

Django wrote:
rvwenger wrote:Picked up my VV-XII today. It is in amazing shape and ready for a good cleaning and motor / reproducer rebuild. This came from an estate in which the family was clearing out all of dads stuff. They were just happy to have it gone. Came with a nice pile of record which I need to sort out.
Any history to go with it?

No, the family had no history, just that dad purchased it a long time ago.

Anyone have a spare foot for this ?.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I was wasting some time on the Shorpy site this afternoon, when I stumbled upon this image. The Victrola XII is oak, and sitting unsold in a shop in April 1914.

Click on the image twice to enlarge it.

George P.
VVXIIShorpy.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wow George, what a great image. Not only a new oak XII, but the Victor banner and a portion of one of the rarest Victor advertising posters ever hanging behind and above it. Wonderful!