Show us Your 1920's/'30's Record Changer(s)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

Re: Show us Your 1920's/'30's Record Changer(s)

Post by martinola »

Wow. I'm gob-smacked by all the shiny deco details! Harry Popkin was co-producer (with René Clair) of one of my favorite mystery movies: "And Then There Were None".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_ ... 45_film%29

Thanks for sharing!

Martin

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

I can't get enough of these great machines..so under appreciated :cry:

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

FYI to all those who are interested in these great machines.
I will be looking for one of the Victor RAE machines with magazine changer, beginning late fall, when I replenish my piggy bank.
Please keep me in mind if something comes along that you are not personally interested in.
I would like a machine with a good to very good original finish and one that has been properly mechanically/electrically restored.

Thanks so much!

Gene

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

There is an RAE 59 on Ebay but unfortunately the cabinet finish is flaking :(

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

As much as I'd like to think my RAE-59 is worth way more than the one in the Ebay auction mentioned above (mine is excellent condition and working well), in all honesty I cannot see the $1500 asking price for it. More like half of what they are asking. Yes, hard to find, but the demand is not as great as a Victor III in good condition. At least not at this time. Just my opinion, I am no expert on values.

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

startgroove wrote:As much as I'd like to think my RAE-59 is worth way more than the one in the Ebay auction mentioned above (mine is excellent condition and working well), in all honesty I cannot see the $1500 asking price for it. More like half of what they are asking. Yes, hard to find, but the demand is not as great as a Victor III in good condition. At least not at this time. Just my opinion, I am no expert on values.
The 1931-1932 season machines are for sure hard to come by..probably even harder than the 1928-1929 machines since 1932 was the worst year of the depression.
As a record collector and late 1920s early 1930s music lover I would use a machine like this more than a victor III so for me I would value it more.We do not have these things as investments (not me anyway) so it is what you like i guess.The big machine collectors are far and few. But love us all of you anyway!

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

A year or so after Victor stopped offering the R45 and R75 radio and phonograph combination, several other brands appeared on the market, with their versions of an automatic phonograph.

The one shown here is a 1931 GM (for General Motors) model 290. It has a changer which was made by Capehart (the Capehart story is whole other chapter).

The changer is known as a drop changer. It stacks 10 records above the turntable, which are dropped to the turntable, one at a time, to play through. This type of changer is considered to be highly reliable and easy on the records.

Cheers, Russie
Attachments
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG (102.78 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG (112.77 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG (101.14 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

victor 15-1
Victor I

Post by victor 15-1 »

startgroove wrote:A year or so after Victor stopped offering the R45 and R75 radio and phonograph combination, several other brands appeared on the market, with their versions of an automatic phonograph.

The one shown here is a 1931 GM (for General Motors) model 290. It has a changer which was made by Capehart (the Capehart story is whole other chapter).

The changer is known as a drop changer. It stacks 10 records above the turntable, which are dropped to the turntable, one at a time, to play through. This type of changer is considered to be highly reliable and easy on the records.

Cheers, Russie
I love the shape of that cabinet!

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Awesome Russie!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

By now, those of you following this thread who didn't already know about Russie The Changer King may have begun to realize that Russie is, in fact...The Changer King. He's doling them out to us here slowly, one by one - just to tease, I'm guessing.

I've been to Lori and Russie's place and they are lucky enough to have a huge space in which to display the literal and figurative TONS of changers they possess. I handed off a few of them to them, myself, in fact.

Keep 'em coming Russie.