Find Of The Century!! Don't Miss This One!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Find Of The Century!! Don't Miss This One!

Post by SonnyPhono »

So, I came across this on eBay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edison-Gem-Model-A- ... 2558baef8b

The Gem was originally $7.50. This rare find has the $25.00 gold plated upgrade. It has to be the real deal. I mean, why wouldn't someone pay $25.00 to upgrade a $7.50 phonograph?

;) :)

Steve Stephens
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Restoration is little more than another kind of destruction.

Re: Find Of The Century!! Don't Miss This One!

Post by Steve Stephens »

SonnyPhono wrote: why would someone pay $25.00 to upgrade a $7.50 phonograph?
That's what I thought. Add the pretty plating for over three times the cost of the machine. I'd guess that Edison just happened to OFFER the gold plating option on all it's machines. The gold plated Triumph was a relative bargain at $50 extra for the gold plating.

I have to give credit to this ebay seller who has been responsive to emails to him explaining what the finish on his Gem is and he's edited the title and description to reflect that the gold isn't gold. It's not all that bad of a machine I don't think and, with some luck, maybe the gold paint can be removed from the original japan finish. Case is in good condition, reproducer looks ok. Just that special gold paint job!

Steve

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Find Of The Century!! Don't Miss This One!

Post by SonnyPhono »

Yea, I would imagine that this will detract from the final selling price. I'm sure the gold could be removed without harming the black japanned finish. Everything else looks fine. Someone may get a good deal on a nice gem that just needs some elbow grease to be brought back to life. In fact, I wonder if the gold finish preserved the black japanned finish more than if it hadn't had the gold at all.